SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thaasjr

Hold onto my cash or take smaller mortgage?

Tom
7 years ago

Looking for a little advice on which way to go here. My wife and I are in our mid 30s with 3 children building a new home. I have lived in a small older home for the past 15 years which has allowed me to save up a substantial amount of cash. My plan was to use this and my equity in current home as a large down payment on the new build. This would obviously leave me with smaller payments and potentially the option to finance at 15 years (lower interest) vs 30. I've started to question whether I'd be better off holding on to my money and financing a larger portion of the new home with the current historical low rates. After reading a previously thread I've seen opinions in both directions. I've never had a lot of debt. I paid off my current home by age 30. Pay my credit card every month, and have bought all my vehicles and toys with cash. I can live with the idea of a large mortgage if it makes financial sense. Would this make any sense if I were to just leave this money in a low interest savings or would I need to invest it in something with returns over the present interest rate? I also take standard deductions every year so larger interest payments may allow me to itemize. Thoughts?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions