SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dslieberman

Countertop Color Choices--help, please!

Daina L
7 years ago

Hi all, my husband and I just closed on a townhouse. Before we move in, we're planning to have the wall between the kitchen and dining room removed and put in a peninsula. We also will be staining the hardwood floor a cherry color. The cabinets are white thermofoil, but the boxes are wood. We'd like to replace the granite (it's baltic brown and I hate it) so that the granite on the peninsula will match the rest of the kitchen. If we can afford it, we'll replace the doors with shaker style white painted maple; we will use that for the peninsula cabinets and if we have to wait a year or so before replacing the doors in the rest of the kitchen, so be it. I think the kitchen and dining room with be fairly traditional in style (in the dining room we will have his grandfather's large mahogany table and chairs).

So, we've been looking at granite and other countertop materials. What works with cherry wood floors and white shaker style cabinets? My husband likes black, but I am leaning towards white or gray or blue, perhaps Carrara marble, or blue pearl or blue eyes granite. We will likely sell the place in 5-10 years and buy something larger, so while I LOVE labradorite/lemurian blue, I'm not sure something that striking is a good choice in a place we will want to sell.

I'm leaning towards a cool color palette, but want to make sure it won't look weird with cherry floors. Help, please! Suggestions for a countertop I will love?

Comments (23)