SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stokes21

Debt: Paying Off vs Loan

D M
7 years ago

My husband and I have good credit but have dug ourselves a bit of a hole lately with our (many) credit cards. The only reason we had so many was because we did a DIY home build and used them to get us from draw to draw as we could not get a good rate for a line of credit with a bank. (And we couldn't get a good rate only because we don't bank with a big bank. If you're not a customer, you are less likely to get a low rate)

All the cards were paid off in full after the build. Somehow (that's a lie, we know how haha!) we jacked up our balances again. We have learned our lesson and plan on cutting up all but 2 (One each). So my question would be:

Option #1: Focus on the card with the highest interest rate and biggest balance first and start paying it down. Card by card.

Option #2: Obtain a loan specific to paying off credit card debt. The loan would come with an interest rate anywhere from 3-10% although due to our still good credit scores and income, I suspect we could obtain one with a rate around 5% (as opposed to the 19.9% rates on most of our cards). They offer 3 or 5 year payment plans with no penalties to pay it down faster. This would allow us to pay off the cards immediately thus allowing us to close the accounts and cut up the cards.

I am leaning towards option #2. A fixed amount would be easier than trying to pay each one down separately and would significantly reduce the interest that we would pay. It would also make me less stressed knowing that the debts are paid off and that I have a plan in place to pay them off (ie: loan with pre-authorized payments)

Aside from this slip, we are generally good with money. We have done a budget and know where we need to cut back and things that we need to stop doing. We aren't just jumping on the loan bandwagon with no other plans in place. I've read articles, books, obtained advice from friends in the financial world etc.

Thoughts? Advice? TIA!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions