SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_legault

White David Austin

I just purchased my first David Austin Rose the Olivia Austin Rose. I would also like to add a white rose or two around her any suggestions on a good white rose fragrance isn't all that important it can't be too awfully tall and they would prefer something that doesn't shatter immediately

Comments (54)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will check out Bolero, not one I have heard of. Thanks

Original Author
    7 years ago

Holy moly, Bolero is stunning . Thank you for the recommendation . I think I found my new rose

So do you think the Olivia Austin ror will be taller than tbe Bolero. OAR says 3 1/2 . Will 5 hours of sun be enough?

• Related Discussions

Orange rose/companion plant color combo?

Q

Comments (14)
    I particularly like the idea of the dramatic color combination, like the dark violet/deep red/orange combo that was suggested. The french lavender + artichoke already have pastel purple flowers and the silvery leaves there, and with the white rose in the back I'm worried the colors will be too "pastelly". I saw some California poppies "Mikado" seeds in the store today, so I'm thinking that dark flame orange color will do well if I place it in front of the light orange rose (there should be enough contrast between the two colors right?). Or does Echinacea have similar shades of dark orange/red? I like Agastaches as well, but would the scent conflict with the scents of the 2 David Austin roses I'll be planting? or do they have separate bloom seasons so it wouldn't matter? So many wonderful ideas, thank you! I'm going to have to compile a list of the plants everyone suggested and their respective pictures because I'm not familiar with a lot of the plants that were suggested (relatively newbie gardener here). Really excited to see what all the suggested plants might look like! :) This post was edited by technoduckling on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 2:53
    ...See More

David Austin

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Pat, welcome to the forum! Hope you come back and post often. Good luck with whatever Austin you choose. I grow almost 50 of them and love them all, here in zone 5. I don't grow Glamis Castle, as it is supposed to be prone to blackspot. However, Claire Austin is another wonderful white rose that looks quite a bit like G.C. but is much more disease resistant, at least in my experience. Here is a link that might be useful: Claire Austin
    ...See More

Best white David Austin rose

Q

Comments (2)
    For me, one of the better ones is Lichfield Angel. It seems to do reasonably well here. It is a creamy color that picks up other tints depending on the time of year. You might want to give that one a look.
    ...See More

White Or Cream Austin shrub for heat

Q

Comments (21)
    We planted Tranquillity in our garden in Spring 2014. It is a large, vigorous plant with bright green foliage; based on the performance of a number of other Austin roses we grow, I expect that this rose may reach 6 ft high x 4 feet across in our area. The flowers are in the 3.5-4.5 range. After it flowers, we cut off quite a bit of cane, as we are trying to train it to develop more branches. The fragrance is not as strong as many of the other Austins, but still pleasant. We also planted a rose from Heirloom Roses called 'Tranquility' (one 'l' vs. two 'l's'.) at the same time as 'Tranquillity'. This rose has white flowers that can range from a pale yellow to a blush pink.. It grows around 4.5 ft tall x 3 ft wide so far. This rose has a stronger fragrance than 'Tranquillity' that is in the myrrh category, which some people dislike. We are happy with both of these roses so far.
    ...See More
  • KnoxRose z7
    7 years ago

Olivia will surely be taller than Bolero. Bolero is very compact, after almost 2 years I've observed that its stems only seem to grow long enough to produce more blooms, rarely do they grow enough to make the plant larger than about 3' by 3', and that is generous. Olivia however produces very long stems that eventually bloom in clusters on the ends, & after several of those the the whole shrub is almost 5' in year 1. This may be due to the fact that Olivia is grafted & was an older plant upon purchasing, perhaps when Bolero hits year 3 it will have a growth spurt, but I doubt it would ever come close to Olivia's size.

• romogen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hold on @farmerduck, somehow I don't think 'Bolero' is a sport of 'Fair Bianca'. If memory serves me right, 'Bolero' is bred from 'Sharifa Asma', a different Austin rose.

Before you finalize your choice, there are other options. My 'Bolero' gets a lot of pink and peach tones in hot weather (pic below). If you like that look, 'St. Cecilia' is a much better rose.

Also, 'Bolero's flowers don't last as long as 'Classic Woman' or 'Green Romantica'. If fragrance is unimportant, consider 'Winchester Cathedral' the white sport of 'Mary Rose'.

'Bolero' isn't a very strong grower either, and there are better low growing varieties such as 'White Meidiland'.

A low maintenance rose you might also want to consider is the 4' bush form of 'Aimee Vibert'. However, be careful not to get the 15' climbing sport 'Aimee Vibert Scandens' -- it's a different rose. They're both Noisettes, but are hardy even in Germany.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

Kristine what zone are you in? It's helpful to know wher you live, you can add your zone to your user name in your profile settings

Original Author
    7 years ago

I am zone 8a. Southern Oregon. I chose Olivia because it is supposed to be compact, ha ha phyc. I haven't received it yet. I just had this bright idea of a raised planter with pink and white. Anyone have Litchfield Angel ?

I can't thank everyone enough for you suggestions

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I have Winchester Cathedral. It is a easy going plant. Nice white, has a hint of pink on the buds. I'm not sure about size for you in your zone. But out of the Austin's I have it is the only one that has not thrown out crazy octopus arms. Has maintained a nice shape. Blooming has been constant here.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Remember the old song Winchester Cathedral? If I had that Rose in my garden I would probably be singing that song to it all the time. But I guess it's nice for a rose to have its own song right

Original Author
    7 years ago

I was looking at Kordes roses. There is one called polar express. Anyone grown that particular rose. I am not familiar with kordes but their roses are beautiful .

• KnoxRose z7
    7 years ago

I also have Polar Express! I forgot about that one! I only planted it this summer, in a not the best spot ( only gets sun till about 12:45 pm) yet it has grown suprisingly well in the couple of months it has been in the ground, with lovely glossy green foliage & no trace of blackspot, I think it would suit your needs nicely!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice recommendation . That may be the one. It also looks like it may be taller. Is is fairly white?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    7 years ago

Take a look at White Gold and Moonsprite. While technically not pure white, they would probably go well with your rose.

:-)

~Christopher

• ambrosia922
    7 years ago

This is DA William and Catherine (first year). My first choice was Tranquillity, but they didn't have it.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Lovely

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

Looks like there are two Boleros around, ones a floribunda, the other described as a florists/Hybrid tea rose. MEIcauley (1994) is the Romantica, and is described on HMF as being a cross between Fair Bianca and an unknown rose. Meidelweis from 2004 (floribunda) is bred from Sharifa Asma. They both look lovely. Neither seem to be available where I am... :(

RE winchester cathedral; I have another Mary rose sport, the pale pink one "Redoute" - it flowers nicely, stays compact, and is fairly healthy, and has a fairly long lived bloom compared with some Austins, but one of the two plants does have a decided tendency to sport back to the original dark pink.

• romogen
    7 years ago

Meidelweis is the one presently in commerce. I don't think Meicauley is still commercially available, because the two pictures of it on HMF are identical to Meidelweis. There are very few descendants from Fair Bianca, my guess would be due to lack of seedling vigor.

I have White Gold. Even though it's its first year, WG is already growing like an octopus. I've always liked Moonsprite, it is a lovely rose but stays compact at waist height. Probably needs to be sprayed and might not be vigorous enough to keep up with QoS.

This may sound strange, but I think JACsegra or HARwanna would look great paired with QoS.

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

I recommend Litchfield Angel. A rose I was never really interested in until I saw it in person. It's a beautiful rose with lots of substance and a very fast repeat bloomer.

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

I have read others on this forum praise Tchaikovsky too, but might not have the growth habit you are seeking

Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you know how tall Litchfield Angel will get? It is oNE I keep going back to

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Honestly I'm not sure, but I think it would be around the same size as Olivia. Perhaps a bit smaller as my Olivia is larger than my Lichfield.

I live in humidity heaven and it has held up very well here. Very good resistance to disease for me. I've only had it one year but I'll be ordering a few more next year because I'm very impressed with her.

Tranquility for me is a black spot magnet. I'm getting rid of it and replacing with LA. Bolero is great, but very very slow growing for me. In one year it's remained only about 1 foot tall. It would be absolutely dwarfed next to Olivia (although still a good rose in every other way). Mine is more white than cream. LA is more creamy white but mine is less yellow/tan than the pics on the DA website. Mine is creamy white, not yellowish white.

Winchester Cathedral was more light pink for me and the blooms were rather boring and small.

Glamis Castle was a BS magnet for me too. But a beautiful rose in every other way.

Clair Austin is downright yellow in my garden and not white at all. She also may get very large, but mine has remained compact. Her blooms however are very yellow and not white at all (see pics on HMF, she is yellow in warmer zones).

Wollerton Old Hall shatters quickly and is more tan than white. I did not care for the color much. It was somewhat muddy. The blooms had very few petals for me here in the heat.

Another great one is Windermere. I saw it once at Cool Roses in palm beach and it got accidentally left behind when I purchased 12-14 roses at their sale. I'm still upset about it. It was a veery beautiful rose and was sold to someone else before I had realize it was left behind. I'm ordering another on in January.

Hope this helps :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

I was wondering about the cor of LA. Some pictures shows it very golden. I am looking at Kordes Polar Express but having a hard time finding it.

I am glad you like your Olivia. I am pretty excited to get her. Maybe I should just forget the white and do 3 Olivias. I am also going to order a Munsread Wood.

I am trying to propogate 12 Jackson aND Perkins roses. What if they all take lol. I may have to sneak over to My neighbors house and plant in their yard too.

Original Author
    7 years ago

So FL Rose, all great infomation, especially on color. I am amazed you can grow so many roses in Fl. I have s friend in Tampa and she has trouble even growing her Knockoff rose

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

I have Pope John Paul II, it's pretty & fragrant, plus repeats fast. Not a DA though.

Original Author
    7 years ago

When I moved into this new home there was a Pope John Paul planted out front. Unfortunately they hadn't taken care of it and it was a mess so it got removed for something else. But it is a lovely rose I agree I also like Moondance that's a beautiful rose my sister has it in tree form and it is Always In Bloom and it's a very nice white .

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

I've been searching for the perfect white rose for a long time, starting with the Austins, but then moved on to others.

Winchester Cathedral was my first. Dingy white, odd fragrance and propensity to mildew, but vigorous.

Lichfield Angel: creamy yellow-white, no fragrance. Very thorny, awkward growth.

Bolero: nice short but vigorous bush, nice foliage, but buds and flowers damaged by dry wind and thrips. Very lovely fragrance. Very lovely flowers when they are perfect (rare for me).

Marie Pavie: more pink than white (often described as white), great wafting fragrance, tends toward chlorotic in my garden.

Glamis Castle: crumpled looking flowers that smelled of mothballs to me and my spouse. Very thorny.

Iceberg: surprisingly wonderful fragrance, good spring flush, then small scattered flowers in the heat. Leaves quite yellow despite manuring, acidifying the soil, iron, nitrogen. Good fall flush.

Fabulous!: good growth and foliage. Blooms well, not much fragrance, flower form not great (irregular rosettes). Bush form so far a bit awkward.

Pure Perfume: nice bush, good vigor, shiny leaves, blooms through the heat with smaller, more irregular flowers. Fragrance varies from grapefruit to cheap cosmetics, and rather light. Flowers are dense rosettes that are slightly reflexed (not English style to me).

Constellation (mini): fragrant, opens yellow (described as white), typical miniature-style flowers (high centered buds open to stars), not English style. Tolerates heat well.

I'd like to try Claire Austin, but all reports are of short-lived flowers, tinged with yellow. Similarly Windermere, and I haven't been able to find this one own-root, although I still want to try it. I'm not fond of the flower form of Susan Williams-Ellis, and not much fragrance in the one I sniffed, so I didn't get it. I'm still looking for the perfect white English-style rose. If you find it, let me know.

Hoovb wrote a nice blog entry: http://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/2010/08/competitors-for-icebergs-lofty-throne.html

Original Author
    7 years ago

Interesting. I always thought f iceberg as a small flowering ground cover Rose

Original Author
    7 years ago

I am beginning to think that maybe I should forget the whole idea of a white rose .

Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I found a nursery That sells Polar Express. Chamblees, anyone ever use them

Original Author
    7 years ago

Oldrosarian is your picture William and Catherine? That is such a perfect rose

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Bolero, to me, is a nearly perfect white rose. It is disease resistant, fragrant, and stays fairly compact, and makes a decent cut flower. It has a beautiful "English" flower form. It is almost never without bloom.

PJP II is probably the best high centered white I've grown in the past.

Chamblees is a great nursery - I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Dave5bWY
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

Bolero is a great rose in my garden. It is very heat tolerant ( dry heat)...and blooms almost continuously ... July included.

Throwing another white rose in to the mix for your consideration: Snowbird ( from Burlington Nursery)

It has gorgeous blooms, should remain fairly compact and is highly fragrant.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.280141

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.159644

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    7 years ago

For what it's worth, I don't think you can do better than Winchester Cathedral. I haven't had the problems with it that noseometer has had. Mine has a touch of pink in the center in cooler weather. It is disease free - no pm, so far, perfect form, always in bloom and I actually bought it because of the fragrance. The blooms are also a good size. Classic Woman ranks up there with WC, leans a bit more to pink with only faint fragrance. The white rose I regret buying is Milwaukee's Calatrava, which I have not seen mentioned here. Can't put my finger on it, I'm just not impressed. Skinny form, blooms don't last, however it has a good rating. If Chamblees doesn't have what you want, try Northland Rosarium. Superb nursery! Their bands are consistently bigger and more branched out with a good root system than any other rose supplier I have tried.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is what I am sensing. This is sort of subjective. What works really well in one persons yard may not work as well in another.

I have zinnias planted in 3 different areas and they are all very different in color and size.

I have seen some recommendations that more than not are agreed upon. AND then there are several that have mixed reviews, some love It some dug It up and tossed it out.

So, the searchContinues.

Please and thank you. Thank you for recommendations aND pictures and please keep them coming .

• Volha Manusovich
    7 years ago

My Claire Austin is not yellow, but white. It is her first year and it is already 5 feets. I am going to grow it like a climber. The flowers are short-lived. But all my roses not lasting long in texas heat. I hope they improve with time. Claire produced flowers all summer.

It is not so big in reality and more white.

And also it is deasese resistant.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Volha Manusovich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very pretty

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

just to complicate things, I agree with those tat have said Winchester Cathedral is a great shaped bush, vigorous and good bloomer. strange scent But slight. But mildew magnet. If it is very dry and sunny in your spot, I would expect this to not impact as badly.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Ninkasi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have a long dry summer. I am almost, mostly, sort of decided on Winchester Cathedral ha ha, for today anyway

7 years ago

You are so right about the differences from one garden to another. Even in the same area. So many factors in play. You're zone 8a and I'm 5, however, our summers are also hot and dry. My WC had a bit of PM when I purchased it, but after planting, it just went away. Not a trace since. Healthy roses can usually fight off diseases. Mine is own root and I don't spray. I would grow it regardless, even if I had to fuss over it a little. I hope you love whichever one you decide upon.

• romogen
    7 years ago

OP, if you're in Oregon, that entire stretch from Medford, Roseburg, and the Willamette area is prime rose growing territory. Any rose should do well for you.

For what it's worth, to this day my favorite white Austin is still 'Fair Bianca.'

Followed by St. Cecilia, Geoff Hamilton, & Lordly Oberon... blush really, but essentially white in my zone.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Medford is rose country for sure. We had the Jackson and Perkins test garden here for years and Newflora is here as well.

I am looking really hard at Korsea roses. My problem is I have always been of the thought that is one s good, 10 is better lol. It is a sickness ha ha, but a pretty one.

• Siân UK8/9
    7 years ago

You've probably already made up your mind, but I thought I'd share my pictures of Claire Austin.

She starts off with pale lemon buds which open up to the most beautiful creamy white blooms. I only half agree with other posters when they say CA shatters too easily....her blooms can last on the plant for about 5ish days. As the blooms get older, more than a week, they'll shatter in a stiff wind but quite frankly the white petals strewn across my balcony look rather beautiful and romantic and she always has new blooms and buds waiting in the wings.

At the moment, CA is still very young and tends to "nod" but I've seen photos of more mature CA shrubs with blooms that are upright. She'll get better every year :)

She's currently in a container next to Munstead Wood. But I also have Lichfield Angel and Olivia Rose Austin in pots...they're new. No blooms to compare right now but when they do, I'd be happy to update you.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, that is a fabulous rose. Thank you for sharing your pictures

Original Author
    7 years ago

How tall is your CA? That really is a gorgeous rose

• Siân UK8/9
    7 years ago

Just reaching 3ft at the moment. CA was a gift in May.

Label on the pot said 4ft x 3.5ft.

The David Austin website has CA listed as a potential climber. Her stalks are bendy enough but personally I'll be keeping CA pruned and shrubby.

Hope that helps :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

It does help, thank you

Original Author
    7 years ago

Claire it is

Original Author
    7 years ago

Between Evelyn and Eglatine preference?

7 years ago

I have both. In my garden, Evelyn is a bit more sprawling and peachy and has a strong fragrance. Eglantine is upright and soft pink. Both have the old fashioned powder puff flower form. Evelyn has fewer thorns and suffers a bit more with heat. I wouldn't want to be without either one.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They are both so beautiful, you are right, probably need both

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Evelyn is one you cant be without. Her growth habit is a bit like a climber but she is SO worth it in every way. She's my most favorte rose (pictured on my profile pic).