SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hirosamaja

5-1-1 mix for the winter?

Hiro
7 years ago

I have a horrible record when I over winter citrus indoors. I've tried slowly acclimating coming in and out of the indoor conditions, heat mats, supplemental lights, but all my citrus end up half dead when spring comes around. I've been continuing this cycle of bringing back half dead citrus during the summer months (outside) only to nearly killing it during the winter (inside)... I'm just frustrated. I have many other plants I over winter - figs, orchids, bougies, clivia and they're all fine.

I think my watering habits of citrus in the soil mix it comes in is my issue... I tend to have mushrooms growing on the citrus pots even though I water once every week or two. I tried watering once every ~three weeks, then it nearly died or dehydration.... Since the 5-1-1 mix has better aeration and drainage, it sounds like it would help me overwinter my citrus.

Do any of you guys have bad experiences overwintering citrus indoors in the nursery potting mix - and have found another mix like 5-1-1 to be helpful? Or perhaps it's just my indoor plant care habits that need fine tuning.

I got this page orange this May, and it's grown pretty well. It's in its original potting mix at the time of purchase.

thanks for any advice!

May this year (found it in a clearance section of Lowe's)

(yesterday)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County