SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mat68046

My china doll root rotted, despite peat/bark

mat68046
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So ive lost mi 8" china doll tree to root rot :( I have grown a 4" plant into a very nice 6" tree, shall post pictures later

The point of this post is to voice my opinion on soil, light, and moisture with this particular houseplant in regards to root rot and hopefully help others

My own deductions are as follows

Plants require strong light, with at least 3-4 hours of sunlight, preferably more Healthy specimens from the nursery should be situated in full sun.

Soil is irrelevant I have seen them come in from florida in what looks like mud I have seen them just as easliy come in with what looks like pure peat/fir bark

The 8" specimen i had was in a mostly peat, fir bark mixture, yet despite very careful watering, it devoloped root rot There was no pythium blight present on the lower leaves or top of the soil

I did repot it one time, and i think this is what caused the rot to start, despite the fact that i had made a cast and gently removed it, i ended up changing my mind about the pot and put it back in the normal nursery 8" black plastic pot a few days later I belive this double transplanting is what caused the root rot, however the position i had it situated in was also heavy shade Despite reading 6,000 Ftc. and being on the second floor patio, AND getting about an hour of intense sun during the afternoon, and an hour in the morning and evening respectfully, it simply did not grow

I had it outside since late april, and brining it inside a few days ago after noticing higher than usual on the stem yellowing lea

ves, i suspected that it had root rotted indeed it had Sorry about the no periods, my keyboard button is broke

So to sum up my findings, not just this year ovbiously but over the last 15 years ive been growing them.

1. Sunlight is important. Plants increase respiration an use the engergy for growth.

2. A well draining SOIL based medium is what im going to use. Despite being topdresse with granular osmocote AND fed miracle grow every 2 weeks, growth over the summer was extremely poor. I attribut this to peat being devoid of nutrients. Im sure others will object and say it was other factors

3. Plants do not like being rootbound. My 8" plant was never potted up, however a 4" plant was put into a 6" and now 8" pot and growth, in the same shady location, was very fast.

4. Plants do not like being repotted, but potting up and drenching/watering with captan or subdue maxx at time of potting helps alot. Plants seem to do well in clay pots.

I believe that root rot is not a result of overwatering in china doll plants. They are grown in floridda where daily monsoons during the summer are common, and in winter it is cold, windy, an growers use irrigation as a means of preventing frost damage (water comes out of the tap at 70f) That they are quite heavily watered, almost overwatered, yet the high amount of light negates this, no matter what kind of media is used.

Comments (32)