SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamalucas926

Lesser of two evils

Vanessa Lucas
7 years ago

We keep going round and round lately about a much needed remodel. We have a two story home, currently the upstairs has a 9x10 (no closet) bdrm, a slightly larger bedroom, and the "master" bedroom with a small walk-in closet. We added a tiny half bath 5yrs ago at the landing. We have 4 kids. 2g/2b. The boys share the master, and the girls have the other two rooms. We have a bdrm downstairs. The problem is, we want to add a shower upstairs. Our options are this--

Force the two girls back together into one room, convert the tiny bdrm into a full bath and make the 1/2 bath into a much needed closet. This would be nice bc the bedroom is directly over the current downstairs bath. The downside, we lose a bdrm upstairs.

Option 2--

convert the master closet into a shower/toilet room, and the 1/2 bath into a dbl sink area, and make it hollywood style, as well as a pocket door between the sinks and shower room. We would have to do some kind of free standing wardrobe for the boys then. The downside, no real closet for the master bdrm.

Obviously I am thinking long term, when we eventually go to sell the home. But for now, I really need it to function for us as a lg family. (Plus, the only shower/tub is in the main bath downstairs and you have to walk downstairs, by the front door, and through the living room and dining room.)

The last option would be to leave the 1/2 bath as is, and remodel the main bath, (add dbl sink, remove tub, add small shower stall, move laundry in that room), Then convert the laundry room into a full bath that would be off the bdrm downstairs. I have commitment issues when it comes to making big changes like this, so really just looking for some input and experience with this. BTW- kids are 3,5,8,10, if that matters. TIA!!

Comments (26)