SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joegarden1

Schip Laurel or Hicks Yew, semi-understory hedge

Joe F
7 years ago

Hello,

I have added a new section to my garden, and I'd like to wall it off with an evergreen hedge. The location is in full morning sun, shading by early afternoon, and with filtered light more or less in the later afternoon. The ground originally tapered off to a large Eastern White pine (with basically only high branches) and some smaller Norway Maples around it.

I plan to level the ground somewhat, which means I'll have to berm close to the pine tree. I do not like adding soil over root zones, but I'm hoping that since more than half will be unaltered, the pine will be okay. Also, I still plan to remain about ten feet from the trunk, with the end of the berm. Also, to note, I expect the Maples to continue reaching out to the sun, although I'll prune back and up some lower branches in the future.

In this location, I'd like a somewhat tall evergreen hedging, to screen the end of the property and add some seclusion and a bit more formality to the area in general. I'd like to know which would be a better option, Hicks yew or Schip Laurel.

I understand that yews in general are slower growing, but I do not have much experience with Hicks and uprights in general. I have heard Hatfield is slower and not as deep a green, though it will spread more. But I am leaning to Hicks.

As far as Laurel, I have even less experience; I only have one individual Laurel, which I assume is Schip. Schip is what my local gardening center recommends for Laurel. I have read that Schip variety will only grow to about 6 ft, but most everywhere I hear it said that Laurel is aggressive and can become quite tall if left unchecked. I suppose this is a different Laurel, maybe English, I don't know.

I'd like the hedge to try to keep on par with some American arborvitae I already have planted in a semi-hedge form (around 10-12 ft now, and at which I'll try to maintain them).

Any advice on my selection, given the location, with part sun, some potential root competition (and plenty of drainage, by the way), would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe

Comments (12)