SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

Update to my "what to buy" thread from a few months ago

scoutfinch72
7 years ago

Here is the original thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3935463/need-help-deciding-on-a-new-fl-washer-dryer I was looking for advice on what to buy for the basement apartment that takes up 1/4 of our finished basement.

In the end, sanity and the budget won out because we unexpectedly had to tear out the shower in the bathroom in there and replace it. I ended up finding a used Whirlpool Duet set of the same vintage as the set we already own and really like - for $400. Washer is WFW9750WW02 and the dryer is WED9750WW0. Both have steam, and the washer has an onboard heater. They are both higher end models than my current set and I briefly contemplated swapping them for ours, but ultimately decided to just put them in the apartment since I'm really not sure of the history. We already had the stacking brackets from when our w/d were stacked in our last house, so that was a bonus.

I'm reasonably certain they outright lied to me when they said that the washer never had any problems, but I was able to fix it easily. I ran the Whitest Whites cycle empty with bleach and then ran 2 clean washer cycles with Affresh. It seemed like everything was working great until the end of the second cycle when I got an error that it wouldn't drain. I ran upstairs and grabbed the socket set and opened it up to check the drain pump filter. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but EWWWW! I found 2 women's ankle socks, several plastic wrappers, a foam ear plug, bobby pins and some rocks.

For comparison, this is the filter from my washer, which I admittedly hadn't cleaned since I got the washer about 5 years ago,

I've been running both sets for the past few days and I'm feeling a little spoiled to be able to get twice as much laundry done in half the time. I'm going to be a little sad when we get a renter - at least until the rent checks start up again!

And just for fun, here is a before and after of our recently remodeled main floor laundry room. We got rid of the powder room, which was a controversial decision, but it was the 5th toilet in the house, and we live in the snowy mountain west so I really wanted space for a mudroom and this was the only space available for it. I'm still planning to add a counter but have been waiting for the right remnant to pop up at a friend's granite shop.

Comments (8)