SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Update on my DH b-day party planning

3katz4me
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Less than a month away now! I slightly panicked last week when some stuff blew up at work that will potentially impact my ability to take time off as planned to prepare. So I've shifted into high gear to make sure I get everything done on my remaining weekends.

I talked to the caterer today and that was SO helpful. Particularly in planning for the amount of food. I decided I'm just going to let them do all the food other than the cake and some snacks that I'll have around before we put out the "real" food.

My "final" headcount is 35. Still planning to have the kind of menu that allows for people to graze and eat whenever they want - so far nothing hot. No plans to have bartenders or servers. The catering part of it is so not us and having "help" would really not be.

Preliminary menu:

Roast beef crostini, a little sushi and sashimi for raw fish lovers (DH), poached salmon with dill, chicken satay, mini fruit skewers, herb roasted vegetables with aioli, some kind of a green salad, artisan breads. I think I need a little more beef/meat but will decide after I review everything later today.

The pianist (who is also our piano tuner) is very excited to be part of this. DH is responsible for the piano (which is a restored 1920's Conover Parlour Grand) so he and the pianist have kind of grown to be buddies. He's a classical pianist but is also working on his Rolling Stones repertoire since DH loves the Stones (along with classical music). He will play at the beginning for a couple hours while people arrive and have cocktails (which will be near the piano) and then join us for the rest of the party. DH still has to work on his playlist for post-piano party time.

I've been collecting photos from party attendees and the ones I can dig up. It feels a little bit like pulling that stuff together for a funeral/memorial service but better to share the memories with your friends and family while you're still upright and breathing.

Morbidly I actually thought I should set all this stuff aside in case he goes before me. We both seem to be thinking more about that kind of thing as we approach 60 and after a couple serious health scares.

Off to go shopping for a few home "accessories" to spruce up the place before the party.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!