SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickintulsa

Planting Desert Willow from seed

rickintulsa
7 years ago

I became infatuated with Desert Willows after seeing a couple that had been planted outside a church in Oklahoma City. Once I figured out what they were, I immediately decided to add them to my garden. Online research and GardenWeb taught me how tough these beautiful plants are - love the heat, bloom all summer in full Oklahoma sunshine, actually do not require watering once established. I'm in. I don't know why these things are not more common around here. It was actually not easy to find a nice one to plant, but I eventually bought one from Stringer Nursery, about 4' tall at the time of planting in early summer. It produced a couple of seed pods, I waited until one was dark brown, then harvested the seeds and tried to plant them. I've seen some postings here about how and when to plant them. I put them in seed planting mix in gallon containers. I put about 6 seeds in each container, and placed them in full sun. I've kept them watered but not soaked. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and not a single one has germinated. Can someone tell me what I've done wrong? Picked the seed pod too early? (I have one left still on the plant, very green still.) Placed the seeds in too much heat or too much sun? I didn't freeze or refrigerate the seeds before planting, do I need to do that? Just looking for some direction -

Comments (6)