SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Cornbread & Beans & All 'o' Them Things: A Trip in the Wayback Machine

sylviatexas1
7 years ago

I'm all at once hungry for my grandmother's cornbread & pinto beans or cornbread & butterbeans.

or cornbread & black-eyed peas.

or anything from her kitchen.

She always had a big garden with a bunch of easy-to-grow stuff, a real necessity when you feed lots of people!

beans, black-eyed peas, onions, tomatoes (sure, tomatoes are easy to grow...for everybody but me!), cucumbers.

She canned a lot of it, but we ate fresh vegetables like maniacs until the garden froze.

Summers, we'd have hot-water cornbread with no sugar, still the best way to make it, fresh butterbeans or black-eyed peas or pintos, none of which is anything like the dried versions; I swear, Granny's kitchen smelled *green*!

& there was always a bowl of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, a bit of garlic, & a thin vinegar & oil dressing on the table.

An old guy named Mr Honea had a fruit stand, which he stocked with sweet potatoes, peaches, cantaloupe, watermelons, & tomatoes from East Texas.

When he had a really huge amount of produce on the truck, he'd drive through town & sell a lot of it door to door; I learned to count change by paying, from my grandmother's stash, for vegetables & fruits from Mr Honea's old truck.

For short periods in the fall, he hauled sugar cane & fresh corn, crops that took up too much space for Granny to grow it in her town garden.

We had corn on the cob roasted in the husk, boiled on the stove, we had it stripped off the cob, boiled, & served with just a bit of butter & salt & pepper, & Granny froze lots of it.

If you open a freezer bag of last summer's corn in midwinter, the fragrance makes it summertime again!

Food is so wonderful.

It nourishes us, it gives us the opportunity to gather around the table, it takes us back in time.

What foods are special in your life?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor