SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Kitten Litter Box Problems

kittiemom
7 years ago

I posted this over at the KT, but am posting again here in hopes that maybe there is someone here that doesn't visit the KT and may have suggestions. One of our kittens, Maverick, is using the litter box sometimes but not always. Last week he was pooping on the floor but peeing in the box. We've cleaned the floors (hardwood and tile) well with Natures' Miracle as well as another odor remover, followed by standard mopping. He isn't going back to the same spots always. He will go and start scratching on the floor, then pee. He knows he's supposed to cover it up because he will scratch at it in vain and sometimes in the process cover his paws and tail with urine, which then requires a bath. It's almost like he's forgotten that he should seek out a litter box and just goes wherever he happens to be when he needs to go.

We've tried confining him to just 1-2 rooms, but it doesn't seem to help. It just gives us a smaller area to check for problems. We've confined his littermate with him and then today all of our kittens (we have five). Yesterday DH came home and texted me happily to say there were no problems. Then a few minutes later Maverick peed on the floor and then immediately jumped into the litter box to poop. We have Feliway diffusers running. Maverick is used to communal boxes. We got him from a breeder and multiple cats used the same boxes. He's never had any problems with using the box until about three weeks ago. We'd been switching them to Yesterday's News (slowly) and DH brought home a generic brand. The next morning was when we found pee for the first time.

We ruled out just about everything. There have been no changes in schedule, etc, during this time. No new pets introduced. He gets along well with the other kittens; they all sleep together and groom each other. Maverick is seven months old; he came home with us at three months. I tried the special "cat attract" litter and also the herb litter box additive from the same company. He and the others used it, but no more than the other boxes. We've added additional boxes as well as boxes with unscented litter. Sometimes he'll go for an entire day and not have a problem and then he relapses. Some days (like today) there are multiple incidents in one day. He never had any problems with the litter box until recently. The vet has suggested amitriptyline. I've read that there can be side effects, but we're ready to try it. Everything else seems to have failed and DH and I are both frustrated. We love this kitten but can't seem to figure out what to do to help him with this.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths