SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepleiades

Calla Lily - is it perennial in San Antonio, TX? Should I repot?

thepleiades (Z8b-9A: San Antonio, TX)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi! I'm looking for some help on whether to repot my calla lily right now in San Antonio, TX.

Someone gave me this potted calla lily about two months ago. It was in bloom with two flowers. I snipped off one of the stems after it died and the other one is shriveling up - seems like it will be dying soon.

The foliage is still green but it is starting to yellow at the edges. The calla lily is currently in a small 6 inch wide, 7 inch tall container. Its potting mix seems to be very water retentive and it would take forever for it to dry out when I kept it inside for a month. After reading all of Al's famous threads on water retentiveness, I realized that keeping it it indoors in its always-damp mix probably wasn't helping it. I noticed a couple of gnats flying around the soil. I also worried it wasn't getting enough light, so I put it out in my semi-shaded balcony.

It now gets indirect bright light throughout the day, primarily in the afternoon as the balcony faces west. Being outside has helped the soil dry out enough that I usually water it once a week. I water so that a lot of liquid comes out of the container and tilt it to try to get excess water out.

Questions:

In my zone, will the calla lily foliage last all year? I've read that it is a perennial in zone 8 and higher. Or is just the bulb perennial? Will I have to cut all the foliage back and dig out the bulb once it's winter? I'm planning to bring the plant in once temps get below 55.

Though it is September, temperatures are frequently in the 80s-100s here. It looks like there is still some new growth even though some smaller shoots are dying while others seem to be growing.

Should I repot now? Or in the Spring?

Three weeks after getting the plant:

Now:

I recently made up a batch of the gritty mix (to repot a ficus benjamina) and put about an inch of the gritty on top of the existing potting mix for this calla to prop of some of the stems that were drooping. The existing mix was getting too low and not holding up one of the stems. That somewhat helped...though maybe it's just blocking the soil from drying out quicker and facilitating root rot?!

I would appreciate any advice on what to do with this gifted plant! Thanks.

Comments (6)