SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

OT: Earthquake

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
7 years ago

Some of you may have heard about the Oklahoma Earthquake on Saturday, September 3, 2016. at 7:03 a.m. I live only a few miles from the epicenter, and believe me it was unlike any thing I have ever experienced!

We've been having earthquakes here for a few years now, but those have been small, and mostly not taken that seriously, but this one was the real thing! It was 5.6 on the richter scale. I hadn't felt any earthquakes for quite some time, and had been feeling relieved, that it seemed like we had quit having them, then this one. I've heard that people several states away felt it, so maybe some of you did too. We are early risers, and I was at the computer checking on something, and everything just started shaking, I really thought the house was going to fall down. When it finally did stop, everything was intact, thankfully. Others weren't as fortunate, several homes and businesses have received extensive damage. I am so thankful there was only one minor injury, and no one was seriously hurt. I have always felt concern for anyone who lives in more "earthquake prone" places like California, and always thought, well that's something we don't have to worry about here, little did I know!

I've always thought that we have enough to contend with here, with our crazy weather, but adding earthquakes to the mix isn't all that comforting! Even though we have a fault line (maybe more than one) most everyone thinks this has been caused by the oil activity (fracking), and they have shut down disposal wells in the surrounding area. Of course almost no one has earthquake insurance, and now we can't get it! If something is a natural phenomenon, then it's just part of life and we learn to deal with it, but if it's man made it makes me a little upset! And they're saying we can expect more, that's not something I like hearing!

I'm going to keep enjoying my family and concentrate on enjoying my roses!

Comments (14)