SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

OK to remove exterior concrete pad?

Jane
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The front of my house has a concrete driveway that leads into the garage, and a slightly elevated level concrete pad in front of the entry door.

In between is another concrete pad that slopes slightly toward the driveway. I would like to remove that pad, and put something level in its place, so that I can put a chair on it that will sit level.

Entry pad -> sloped pad -> driveway

----

Leading up to the entry pad, I have a curved paver pathway nestled in the rock area you see. It is an arc from the driveway to the entry pad. I could fill the sloped pad area with level pavers to match, or have concrete repoured if that is feasable given the sides may not be accessible. I think the pavers might look better.

Drainage is an issue. The sloped pad leads rainwater to the driveway. However the sloped pad is in front of the garage, just bordering the house interior. I could slope the pavers or new concrete slightly toward the yard directly away from the front of the house. Would that be OK? There is probably an 18-24" eave with deep gutter above.

What do you think is my best option for preserving drainage while making it a nice area?

I cannot plant anything closer than 6' away from the house. I could plant a shrub further out in the rock area. It is a small area but is nicely landscaped further away from the house.

Also we have snow. I would have to shovel either the paver walkway or the sloped concrete pad replacement. I have not shoveled pavers before. They have rounded tops - you can see a couple in the bottom right corner of the pic.

Comments (6)