SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Taking up glued down 1970's carpet with pad...Help!

enduring
5 years ago

I am taking up a 1970's era carpet that looks like it was glued down to the sub floor which is OSB on top of plywood on top of joist. How do I get this up. It is a 14x11' bedroom. I have been cutting strips of the carpet and removing, fairly easily, but the black foam that remains is about 1/4" of stuck. What do I do? Use elbow grease and scrape it up? Wet it and see if it comes up easier?

I have not decided what to do with the floor once I get this mess removed. The other areas of this addition, built as an add-on in the 70's, has had 3/4" Mirage brand hardwood flooring put down 4 years ago. The current floor project is the last floor to be refurbished. The addition has OSB at 1/2" on top of ply that is 1/2". When the other hardwood was laid they used longer nails to get down to the ply. It has been fine. I am thinking of doing the hardwood in this room.

Any suggestions on getting the foam pad off the floor would be welcome. I might have to live with this for a few months as I save to finance the new flooring.

Comments (18)