SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

My First Liability Claim

Joseph Corlett, LLC
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After paying liability insurance premiums for over twenty years, I’ve finally had a claim filed against me.

I’ve done undermount sink reattachments at least 50 times over the last 8 years without incident and this was a typical job. The original installer smeared polyester on stone scraps then bridged the sink flange and stone bottom to hold the sink. Non-mechanical fastening like this fails anywhere between 6 months and 6 years later.

Often the sink is completely detached, but I had to drive a scraper into the silicone between the stone and sink flange to get this one to let go. The stainless steel sink, which probably weighed less than 4lbs., broke the CPVC water supply line behind the cabinet and inside the wall on its way down.

It is amazing how instantly focused one becomes with water blasting into the cabinet and onto the kitchen floor. I tried to stem the flow with my hands while instructing the homeowner to turn off the main shutoff. A computer geek type, he had no clue where it was located. I abandoned my post and ran to the side of the house, turned the valve, only to hear the homeowner shout that the water was still coming. In hindsight, I should have just broken or cut the plastic pipe and had the water pump harmlessly onto the lawn and a $1.50 fix. Instead, I ran to my truck, grabbed a monkey wrench, and turned off the water at the curb box. If more than 8 minutes elapsed between the break and shutoff, I’d be amazed, although with water gushing, 8 minutes feels like an eternity.

I returned to the kitchen to find about an inch of water covering the tile floor and wicking its way to the wood floor in the dining room. I commandeered the homeowner’s push broom and swept it through the kitchen garage door where it ran harmlessly to the driveway. I finished rehanging the sink mechanically, told the homeowner “No charge”, and to call a plumber in the morning. Although I’m a licensed Florida building contractor, reattaching a sink is considered maintenance and doesn’t require a license or permit, not so repairing broken supply lines inside walls.

Several days later I received a certified letter from the homeowner’s insurance company stating their intentions to subrogate their expenses on his claim to my insurance company. I immediately contacted my insurance company to see how they wanted to handle the situation. They didn’t seem interested in attending the meeting offered by the homeowner’s insurance company, nor the documentation I had substantiating the repeated failure of CPVC pipe in Florida. (Pipes have broken from simply turning a shutoff valve.) Or in forensic testing of the piece of CPVC I absconded with:

The failed CPVC is on the top, new CPVC on the bottom. Note the color difference.

My insurance lady told me they’d probably just settle; it was less expensive than proving the truth. When she told me they wouldn’t cancel my policy for making a claim, she lied, but my agent says he has another company to resume coverage when this policy expires. I wonder if my premiums will rise?

Now I find and test the main shutoff valve on my sink reattachment jobs before beginning any work.

Comments (24)