SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fotostat

Renting out my condo, worried about attic liability

fotostat
14 years ago

I own 2 units in my condo building, I am also on the board of directors of the association and will be the next president.

I would like to rent one of my units out, this unit is on the second floor and there is a very large attic above it. The attic is officially "common element" owned by the association, however, we allow people who own units with an attic above them to do as they please up there (within reason). One owner has a workshop, another has a large train set setup up there, another has a gym. Most people just use it for storage.

There is a couple sheets of plywood put down in the attic in question, but the rest is opened joists. I would like to allow the tenants that rent my unit to be able to use the attic. 900 square foot of space might be helpful in renting it out and possibly getting more money. My only concern is liability.

Is there any way that I can make a legal contract that allows them to use the attic, but clears me of any liability if someone steps off the joist and falls thru, or anything else that could happen?

Comments (10)

Sponsored