SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Now about that writing desk...

caroline94535
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is looking into the living room from the hallway. It shows the side view of the TV cabinet and the old wash stand base.

I want to move the writing desk back into the living room.

The wash stand is a couple inches wider than the writing desk. Its legs are about 7 inches tall. The desk's legs are about 26" tall (whatever normal table height is).

As you can see, the wash stand is over the floor vent that blows hot or cold air from the furnace or air conditioner. I don't know if this is "safe" from a fire-hazard point of view.

This is where I want to put the writing desk (where the stand is). I took this photo with the iPod so it's worse than usual.

I would have to move the Purple Martin print over to the left side of the TV, but that won't be a problem. Do you think I should darken the frame?

Here's the writing desk from when we first moved into this house - before removing the old carpet, before painting, before replacing air vents, but after ripping up the baseboards...

The pine desk has darkened even more since it's been banished to the overcrowed sewing room.

I love and use this desk. I want it back in the living room.

The desk base is 36" wide and 24" deep from the wall. The removeable hutch is 10" or 12" deep. I'll have to measure it again. The folksy oil-painting is a favorite of mine. It's so child-like and happy. It's attached to the wall.

Do you think the desk would look "right" on the wall where the wash stand is? From our TV-viewing chairs and the breakfast table we would see the narrow side of the desk/hutch.

Here's a poor close-up of my Grandma Moses-esq painting. The colors are darker and richer than they appear here. A cow, sheep, pigs, chickens, dog, cat, blooming window boxes, gathered curtains, pumpkins, cabbages, a barn with hay in the loft, mountain views, rail fences, a horse and buggy, and a proud groom bringing his bride to her new home - what more does a picture need!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm