SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

May I see your Writing Desk?

Oakley
13 years ago

I've been wanting a writing desk for ages, mainly so I'd have one place to put all of my stationery..I seem to collect a lot of it. Plus stamps, envelopes, etc.

We finally ordered one last night. I'm putting it in the living room because there's a very long space against the wall that's been screaming out for something substantial.

It has a hutch on top. For those of you who have a writing desk, even a roll top, I'd love to see how you decorate it.

Mine has drawers, so a lot of the stuff will be put away.

Thanks!

Comments (51)

• sallymo2015
    13 years ago

There was recently a "blog party" going around the blogger community. There were a lot of offices, but some were single desks. You might find some interesting ideas. I had fun looking through some of them, although not nearly all.

As a disclaimer: this is not my blog, although I did participate. I think this blogger makes money blogging, so enter at your own risk!!

Here is a link that might be useful: desks and offices

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Closed to hide mess:

Open - AAAAghhhhh!

This was my decorating desk where I held all of my decor files, etc.

We are currently configuring it to accomodate the family desk and computer. Hmmmm.

• Related Discussions

May I see your plant groupings? Picture

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi Larry, I saw your set up on the AF forum and I have questions. I think I have the same light as you do, is your's a 24" grow light for plants? Do your AV's get enough light? They sure look like they do. :) In the second picture, what kind of upper shelf is that? It would sure look nice in my utility room where my grouping is. Is it screwed on or is it a stand?
    ...See More

May I see your kitchen table in U shaped kitchen?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks, I was thinking oval or round. Behind the table is 1/2 a wall which goes to ceiling, the rest is entrance to DR. Next to refrigerator is entrance to laundry/mud room, next to that is entrance to den. One more question: do you think I can use the oak chairs? They are comfortable, I would change the seats. I'm thinking of having a round table made up with an oak base with a formica top (Besalt Slate?) or something similar. Thanks in advance for your help!
    ...See More

May I see how your DR table is decorated?

Q

Comments (44)
    Thank you to all that confessed :) We have a formal dining room that gets used VERY infrequently for dining since we have an eat-in kitchen. Though we have a large house, right now there is no other place with a table for me to create! Can't use my kids as an excuse, they are grown and gone. What would be my sewing/craft/project room is now my parents' TV room. When the time comes, I will reclaim it. It is large and has vast possibilities for storage of all my "gonna bes" and work spaces. Then I will become an adult and decorate my dining room table like the rest of you.
    ...See More

May I please see pics of your SS sinks and Black Silgranit sinks?

Q

Comments (6)
    I just posted my new picture last night--I love my Blanco sink in black (or their fancy name for black). I'll attach the link to the thread... Oh, and for whatever it's worth--I've been the proud owner of a SS sink, a white cast iron sink, and now a Blanco. I love the Blanco so far. I love how it looks and cleans up, and how it doesn't CLANK! whenever I throw my pots & pans (or Pampered Chef stonewear) around while doing dishes. Here is a link that might be useful: my new blanco thread
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tina. Since mine will be in front of a north window I'll be putting my Pepperomia plant back in that spot, and I have an extra buffet lamp I'll be using. There's also a telephone jack on the same wall next to where the desk will sit.

We have two desks back here in the office where our computers are, and let's just say they're full of junk. Back scratcher, etc. lol

Ttodd, I've always loved your desk! I think I told you I gave that same picture you have of the snow to my son last year for Christmas. We both love snow and it's to remind him snow will come back during the heat of the summer.

I thought this was funny. Last night I told my dh I want a writing desk. He told me he's always wanted one. Huh? I had no idea he even knew what they were! I thought most men knew about "regular" desks but not writing desks. We decided this will be our Christmas present. :)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

That's great, Oakleyoak. I know you'll enjoy using it. I have a craftsman style library desk in our lower level den, but I use the kitchen table on the main level when I work or for writing. I keep envelopes, etc in the cabinet next to the table.

Both of my grandmother's owned writing desks and I loved playing "office" at them when I spent the night. Ok, that sounds dumb, but do let your grandchildren play at the desk when they ask. ;) We had a tall desk in our backstairs hallway in the house I grew up. Painted green with a dark glaze. Hours of sitting and talking on the phone with BFs, best and boy. My cousin was promised the small desk similar to ttodd's but open on the bottom (a family piece) and I don't know what happened to the other one. From the 60 or 70s. I'm sure my mom's green one was sold when they moved years ago.

My mom has had, and uses almost daily, this secretary in her living room since 1986. The doors stay closed, but she keeps family knickknacks and mementos in the door cubbies and papers, etc in the folding desk area and drawers.

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

Oakey, I always think of a writing desk to be more like a
    secretary and not a regular big desk.

I have a roll top in our den that is old, I bought it one
    year when I was shopping for a chair. It's about 55" long
    and the wall space was 48" so Cliff had to move the closet
    over...That's true love! :)
    Above the desk I had two shelves,
    the top shelf was impossible to get to, and the shelves were always messy.
    About 2 1/2 years ago I designed a
    unit to fit the wall and we began making saw dust...
    I made several changed to the design as we went along, (I always do) and
    the last after thought was the little handy drawers.
    It's good that yours has a hutch top, your going to need it.
    It is surprising how much storage you'll need.

I plan on odering another laptop for this desk, so that I can remove the monitor on the wall.

Here's our desk.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Oh Allison - I've seen a writing desk similar to that in Source Perrier when they were still in business. Drooled over it!!!!!

OakleyOK - thanks for posting this thread. I've been on a major whole house rearrange since the end of August. Long story for another thread. At any rate the above desk is no longer my decorating desk and while I was finally getting over it I read your thread this AM.

I remembered that tucked into the far recesses of our basement is the writing desk that DH's grandmother used to use. DH lovingly refinished it for me for my birthday last year but I never had the space for it and I was also using the above desk that was DH's great grandfathers.

Now that I've managed to ditch an bureau in my bedroom this wknd. I have an empty alcove. The timing of your post was perfection! I'm going to ask DH to put his grandmothers writing desk in our alcove. I'm so excited!!!! Thank you!

And the sentimental value of the 2 of us using these desks is monumental to me - DH will be so touched!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison, that's a beautiful desk! I wonder what the worth of it is today.

My father had a beautiful desk with a tall hutch on it. My brother got the desk when my dad passed away. I got his antique smoke stand.

My oldest grandchild is 2, but I hope one day they want to play office. My youngest son had a secretary built into his dresser and he and his cousins played "bank" (with monopoly money,lol) all the time.

Joann, that's a really nice desk and a good sized one too. If I had a rolltop I'd leave it open all the time.

I didn't get a secretary because most of them aren't wide enough and I need an area where I can quickly write something if I had to.

I've been noticing lately, the rooms that are striking to me are the one's that have a wooden desk in it. They add so much character to a room, IMO.

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

My writing desk is different than what I think you're going for so I won't post the picture, but I will tell you about some books that you might want to look at - they're called WHERE WOMAN CREATE. There are a couple of books and a magazine that comes out a few times a year. It has all sorts of spaces where women create art, write, etc. Lovely inspiration.

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

We have 2 desks. One is DH's and is in his library. It is old and we suspect is a married piece. However, the pieces have been together a long time as evidenced by the aging of the finish on the table under the bookcase top.

My desk is in the formal living room. It is a secretary type desk and has lots of cubby holes behind the drop down lid.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

This was my writing desk at the last house we had. I use a table in my studio if I need to write now. I kept envelopes and things in the small chest of drawers.

Now I use this same set up for my sewing space and the small dresser drawers for sewing notions. Live moves on. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Writing desk

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan, I'd still like to see your desk. I love all desks and especially like to see how they're decorated while also functional. I don't think we've ever had a topic on desks, have we?

Shades, that's the perfect desk for a sewing room. And be still my heart, are those shelf scarves you're using? I bought my first for the hutch and I just love them!

Today I'm searching frantically online to find the perfect shade for the lamp I'll be using. It's a desk lamp and I'm looking for a solid red or red and white checked shade. It will be the perfect piece of red needed for the back of the room.

Desk was shipped today!

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Oakley - here you go:

I have two desks in my office, both facing each other. I don't have a good picture of this first one but it's my writing desk. It's an old honey/yellow oak schoolteacher's desk. I've got my large monitor and stuff for the laptop to plug into. Not really decorated as much as the rest of the place but you can see a couple of jars that have my collections of "letters." I have letter tiles and letter dice from all kinds of games (Scrabble, RSVP, Boggle, etc) in the jars with some typewriter keys thrown in.

I've got one of my collages behind the laptop there. I need to make a bigger, longer one to cover the back of the drawers but no one sees it except for me so it's low on priority. :) The oak file boxes hold index cards for current projects. The pink lady with her hands stretched out is Maude, my writing muse. She was made by a children's book illustrator for an auction for Robert's Snow. The lady showing you her back is Olivia, my garden muse. I don't think Nora, my art muse, is in this pic. :)

There's a green glass tray with some of my toys on it for those periods when none of the muses are cooperating.

Then facing it is an oak table that came from a library. I fell in love with those legs and had to have it. This is my desk for art and research. On top of it is a set of old oak drawers that I have a lot of my art supplies in. Underneath, where you can't really see, are a couple of hat boxes with more art supplies and an old typewriter.

I am always searching for vintage oak office pieces to add to the room.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Shades, that's the perfect desk for a sewing room. And be still my heart, are those shelf scarves you're using? I bought my first for the hutch and I just love them!

I think the shelf scarves are really tea napkins. There is a better name for them but my brain is used up right now.The covered thing on the left in small chest of drawers is my printer hidden under just a scrap of fabric and some crochet I did as a test edging. I wanted all office stuff hidden.

The desk is from a hotel in San Francisco. It is in really bad shape.Veneer coming off the top. I still love it.

I have same shelf on my table in studio now but try not to have to do office work in there. I only want to do my glass in there.

Wonderful writing desks I am seeing here. Makes me want to clean out the secretary. Some one here said they use their secretary for their lap top. I would love to see how that is done.

I used my old treadle sewing machine for a lap top desk for awhile. Was kind of fun.

I have another writing desk but it is in the hall here so I do not use it other then to keep odd things in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another writing desk at last house.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

ttodd, I would love to see your other desk when you get it in place.

Mary Lu, gorgeous pieces.

Oakleyok, Mom's secretary is by Baker. It's called a Queen Anne Bureau Cabinet on their website. They still make it today. I'll link it below for a short description that tells about piece is was based on. It was not inexpensive, but my parents went to furniture market in TX and NC to furnish their home (back when it was new) so they did not pay retail. According to Home Portfolio, it currently retails for $45,845. Are you still breathing?! I actually think the retail is now lower, as I've seen it marketed at 60.

I have the long, tiny mirror that was above my maternal grandmother's desk in a closet. I think I'll find a place to put it tomorrow, even though I don't have her desk. It will bring happy memories when I see it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Link

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Oh Allison, that Baker desk is gorgeous!

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

Mine is not "decorated", just a lamp, a table radio, and a plant. I can use my laptop on it, but mostly it's for just what you described, stationery and note-writing, which is pretty rare these days. My "real" desk is in the basement.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Gad you girls really have my messy desk juices flowing with these great pictures. I have three desks in the house right now. One is in our family room in the basement (wait there are four now that I think of it lol). The basement desk is for the architectural computer as well as my bill paying goober. Another is in our ladies parlor currently piled with crap since I'm moving some armoires around....oh dear....now that I continue to think, there is an oak one mimicking the oak library table above (yes I love the legs too lol) in there that I need to post in it's current location to get halls take on. But all of these are just desks and not secretaries, which would probably be so much more useful....and efficient for me since I could close them up!

I have one in my master sitting room for decor mags to pile up on, but no where to hide them lol.

Dh showed me this silly paper list called a .....oh I always forget the word....budge something....oh ya, budget! I have to see if there is a secretary line item on that thing somewhere....

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Yes, Iggy dear, a secretary is good for hiding things. LOL

Bungalow - love your desk! The one is our great room is similar, but the back is a bit taller. Love the pull down!

Oakley, I'm not sure why you would think a secretary isn't wide enough? Plenty wide enough to pull a chair up to and actually use if you choose (I hardly ever sit at mine - prefer the nook table or the sunroom.)

Did you consider an antique desk or secretary?

tina

• User
    13 years ago

Love these desks.

Here's mine. My goal was to refinish it.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here what it looked like after I brought it home....
    {{!gwi}}
    ...and that's what it still looks like in my basement.

I'm now debating if I should get rid of it and find something with more storage. What was I thinking? Well, I wasn't. I just saw the claw feet and had to have it.

Also for the first time as I'm looking at these photos I wonder if it was a vanity?

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Ours isn't decorated, but it's the "family computer station" so it's purely functional. It's perfect because the drawers are just the right size for CD's, the top pulls out for the keyboard and there's a pencil drawer. I love it!

Susanwrites, I'd love to know what type of writing you do! Your spaces look like a lot of creativity goes on there!

• pps7
    13 years ago

I love this thread! I've been eyeing secretary's/writing desk on craigslist for weeks. I want to put one in the guest bedroom to double as a nightstand. I'm guessing it would be a nice place for guests to use their laptops.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison, my mouth literally dropped down when I saw the price. Good money spent on something that will be an heirloom someday. Just don't let anyone have it who will sell it. LOL. I'll definitely check out the website.

Bungalow, I love the "quiet" space your desk is in. Mine will be in a solitary spot also.

Shee, I think that's a 1940's ladies vanity, isn't it? Even so, it would be perfect for a desk. It's beautiful!

Tina, the secretaries I've seen don't look wide enough for me, but I'm sure some are. I just don't want anything to hide what's on my desk, mainly for easy access.

An antique desk would be great, but I don't have the time to search for THE perfect one, and probably wouldn't be able to afford it at this time.

Susan, I love your collections! And your desks. I especially like the white room with the wood ceiling.

Keep the pictures coming, this is fun!

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

hoosiergirl - I love that use of the desk for your laptop. They look made for each other! And yes, lots of creativity in my office space. I write books for kids.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Thank you, Susan! Oh, I *love* children's books! I still have tons of favorites from when my kids were little that I just can't part with (and will probably keep for them to read to their kids). Reading to your little one is such a special, sweet time -- I miss it!!!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

bungalow_house, your desk looks so pretty as does the room.

Sheesharee, whether it's a desk or vanity it's great. Love the shape and the feet.

Oakleyoak, I almost didn't put the price but you asked. ;D I'm not sure I want it and if my sister doesn't we will sell. But I will be able to see what they paid (kept all tickets) and will have someone come in to help too. The house is full of things and I can't take it all or even half without making major changes in my home and I like my home. lol

I went to a favorite antique store today and saw two secretaries. Thought of this thread and wish I had my camera. One was burled wood. About 2K. The other I don't recall the price, but it was smaller, less fancy. I was tempted by the better one.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Allison - I got a little surprise this morning when DH called me out to his truck before leaving for work. He acquired a hutch top that hangs on the wall from a client. He asked me if I thought I could use it somewhere. I think it's the same color (or at least close) to the color he refinished his grandmothers desk w/.

Yippee! I was lamenting all of the nooks and crannies that I was loosing in the drop leaf desk for my decorating stuff when I forked it over to DH.

Hoosiergirl - your desk is exactly the same style as DH's grandmothers writing desk that I will be putting together today!!!! How exciting to see how yours is set up!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Sounds like a good match, ttodd. I don't think things have to match exactly. They just don't need to clash.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

I think you'll *love* the setup of the desk, Ttodd -- we do! If you use a laptop, it'll be even better, but it fits our PC fine. And how special that it was your DH's grandmother's! That makes it even more special!

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments about our desk. It is a family piece. When we brought it here, we found a typed letter stuck in the back of a drawer that my partner's mother had written to her parents when she was young and had moved away to NYC. It would have been around 1950. It was a fascinating glimpse into her young life.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Hi Oakley! Here's the desk in my study:
    {{!gwi}}

and the one in the living room:

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Stinky-gardener. My secretary is the same as yours. Only your's is entirely too tidy. Do the little column looking things on either side of the center door pull out on your's too?

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Hi Shades of Idaho! Yes, the whole compartment pulls out as a unit. I guess they wanted to be able to grab all the important papers & run. Pretty handy in an emergency!

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

I have a very small dark oak rolltop desk. It's just 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall. These photos inspire me to clean it up and bring it into the living area.

I had it in the kitchen of our 1913 house, and since we moved it's been relegated to the basement. Now I'm thinking about how to make it live happily in our more eclectic contemporary house. Any thoughts about funking up an older desk to make it more artsy and less period? I wonder if I dare to paint it. The finish is not in great shape, so it wouldn't really be a sin, would it? hmmm...

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Lovely rooms stinky and bungalow!

tina

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Stinky-gardener, I did not know it pulled out.The drawers yes not the rest. Now if I can get everything out of the way of it I might just try that. WOW Would make a great lap top desk if that were not in there. WOW Who knew. Will let you know if it is that way with mine. It does have hand written on back of inside drawer. Happy Birthday Mom or?? Forget now and it was in the 40's.

Thanks for the tip.

Chris

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stinky, now that's a secretary I could live with! I'm so used to seeing the smaller one's. We're putting our's under a window so the height was very important.

The desk came in today, the hutch should come tomorrow or Monday.

Unfortunately I'm under the weather a bit so I don't know if I'll even want to gather up my stationery, etc., along with decorating it! lol

I'll take a picture when I can. Keep the pictures coming. Doesn't My3dogs have a desk? I keep thinking she does, if so I want to see it again. :)

Oh, one thing I'm excited about is putting a simple but nice Christmas decoration on the desk.

Igloo, you need to post pictures of your desks also!

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Oh dear, after looking at all these beautiful pictures I have secretary envy. Time to start haunting craigslist again.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

oakleyok I hope you get to feeling better soon If you feel up to it visit my link just for you. I had no idea I had so many doilys around and just now remembered I missed the ones on top of the gun cabinet. I will spare you those. LOL

stinky-gardener my secretary shelves do not come out. They are firmly attached.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: For Oakleyok Doily land. Old lady world combined. LOL

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Tina, thanks. Nice to see you...I've missed you!

Oakley, thanks. Can't wait to see your new desk! (Hope you are feeling better asap.)

Shades of idaho, it's interesting that your shelves don't come out! Btw, that's indeed one dandy doily land that you dug up for Oakley! How sweet!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

stinkey-gardener I think they would have come out. There are two small blocks of wood mounted between top and the secretary itself. I am guessing they are glued or?? The bottom part is loose. Afraid to pull too hard. The top feels really solid.

Yah on the doily's I knew I had a few. NOT so many . I was cracking myself up when I just kept seeing them.
    EVERYWHERE!!! LOL

Chris

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shades, are those your doilys? Wow! I need to find some more of them. lol.

Here's the desk. It's not really decorated yet, the plant and pictures will stay on top. No clue what to put on the desk itself, or I may leave it blank. Right now it's holding all the envelopes, pens, stamps, etc.

You can't tell by the picture, but looking out the window is all Roses.

{{!gwi}}

• Jeannine
    13 years ago

I think I'm a bit more minimalist than most. I don't like
    "stuff" out and about, so everything gets tucked away in drawers or boxes on my desk.

Old desk (made in Italy...totally not my style, but I loved the idea of having something custom made):

Old desk with new chair:

New:

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Oakley, your new desk is adorable! I love it. It doesn't need much decoration, & besides, you want to leave some space to write!

I also love your arched window with the plantation shutter. You now have a lovely little work space there. Enjoy it Oakley!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeannine, I love all the desks! Especially the one from Italy. Seriously, if you don't want it I'll take it. :)

Thanks Stinky! Does the dark chair look okay with it? We have four of them, antiques and when we bought new DR chairs we just couldn't get rid of those.

I'm loving the color of the desk. Our front rooms have a mixture of dark wood and oak furniture. With the dark floor, it helps lighten it somewhat.

I still need to put my lamp there. Will do today!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I don't think you need to *decorate* the desk any further. You have enough on there, especially if you want to use a lamp.

I would use a different chair, or refinish that one.

Jeannine - love the lamp in your last pic!

tina

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

The chair looks nice with it. I like a mix of woods. It's more important that the scale and style of the pieces are in sync, imo.

The chair at my large desk (see pic above) is much lighter than the desk. My bookcases match the desk, so if the chair matched too, I think that would be too much!

I think that the scale and style of your antique chair is ideal for your desk. Also, it's nice to mix old and new. If it is comfortable to sit in, I think it's a good fit.

Can't wait to see a pic of your desk with your lamp!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Hadn't read Tina's post. True, if the chair bothers you, you could refinish it (or paint it...if you're not against painting wood!)

I was looking at your pic again. Knowing how you love textiles, & especially homespun ones, you could put a seat cushion with ties on the chair. That would soften it. I'm not thinking about a thick cushion, but one that is very thin, maybe a hooked wool? Since you don't have a rug there, & there's a wood shutter rather than curtain at the window, a soft textile in the scene to break up all the wood might be nice. (I do see you have a doily under the plant!)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Stinky - I also like a mix of woods and painted along with stained wood. My remark about the chair was because from the picture it looks like it may need some work (see the white spots?), although it's hard to tell. Also, I'm just not crazy about the particular chair with the desk. I like your idea about textiles - I think even a slipcovered chair or a parsons chair would also look nice. Not sure if it would work with other pieces in the room.

tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Below is a picture of the room behind the desk. Rug starts about 4 feet from it, so there's plenty of textile there.

Those white spots just need to be touched up with a furniture pen which I actually bought yesterday. These chairs are about 80 years old and I wouldn't dream of stripping them.

I actually like the chair there, I was just wondering what other's thought.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Great room, Oakley! So warm & cozy and such beautiful floors. Love your round rug!

You could still do a neat little chair pad if you wanted; it wouldn't be textile overkill!

Okay, so refinishing is out for this chair! Furniture pens are great, and that's an option I had forgotten about, though I have used them myself to good effect. That should do the trick. Please show us a pic of the finished result (& the lamp!)