SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattyxlynn

Painted My Upholstered Chairs

pattyxlynn
7 years ago

My sister got these chairs probably 30 years ago from work for $25 for both (they were redecorating). They super comfortable and sat in her sun room. With two kids, dogs, cats, etc., a stain would appear here and there. They got to the point she put throws over the back and arms to cover them. But still, every time she would have company, these are the chairs people wanted to sit in. Did I mention how comfy they are?

Fast forward to a coupe of years ago. She was moving and was going to take them to the dump. I thought maybe I could reupholster them and asked for them. They sat in our garage for two years until we moved.

It's not in our budget to have them professionally reupholstered so I started looking at them more closely and realized they were probably not the chairs I should do for my first attempt at doing it myself. So I cleaned them, which didn't take the stains away, and then I painted them.

I followed this tutorial here. I did find sandpaper (by 3M) that is flexible and that helped a lot. The sandpaper doesn't take the paint off, it just softens it. I did two coats on the club chairs' side and backs and three coats on the seat, arms, and headrests.

Meanwhile, while most of our furniture was still in VA, I picked up the other chairs from the Hospice Resale shop for $35 for both. I painted them as well. Two coats on them but that's only because my in-laws were coming and I ran out of paint and needed to put the chairs back together. I need to put one more coat on them. I used one quart of semi-gloss latex paint for all four chairs. I used four bottles of the textile medium. I don't remember the exact cost, but the whole project was under $50.

The question everybody has is "are they stiff?" No. I did read if you do, I think it was velvet, it is scratchy. But these two different types of fabric did great. The chair with wicker had the pattern on it already and it showed through the paint.

I am beyond thrilled with how they came out. Now if I could just find a table I like to go in between the club chairs, I'd be all set!

Comments (42)