SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straitlover

Updating kitchen a little at a time due to finances - clashing?

straitlover
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Sis and I bought a beach condo that needs some updating. We don't have the funds to do it all at once, so it will be a little at the the time. The living room and kitchen are all open. These are pics from another unit in our complex so you can see the layout:

Since it's all open, we will paint it all the same color, leaning towards a beachy blue, nothing too cool (currently the whole condo is basic builder off white, including trim and doors). Our cabinets are the same as the pics; we will eventually paint them probably a creamy white color. Our appliances are a lot older than the pics; they are the originals from when they built the condo, 1988, and work fine other than the oven heating hotter than the dial says. They look dated, not vintage :). The stove is black glass w/ stainless top, knobs on the front; fridge is almond; DW is almond/black. Our countertops are currently cream laminate w/ a wood edge, and they HAVE to go!!! Not sure what we'll be going with for that, possibly some kind of solid-surface material. Backsplash is some kind of plastic/melamine beige material I assume was attached to the drywall (clicks when you drum your nails on it). We may just paint it because they said on on the Kitchen board that it probably wouldn't support the weight of tile/mortar, and I don't want to try removing it. Kitchen floor is boring beige-y sheet vinyl that needs replacing. LR has practically new carpet (installed October 2014), and sis wants to keep it. Thinking of painting the fireplace, but that's a separate post. :)

So, all that to say we can't afford to do it all at once. I was hoping to paint the walls and do the countertop first this fall, then a little later paint the cabinets (DIY, ate winter), hold off on the floor until we can afford to re-do the two bathroom floors and replace the toilets (original beige water hogs!) hopefully Fall 2017, and them maybe the appliances sometime in 2018. We've got stuff in other rooms to do (paint the whole condo, blinds/shutters, replace the glass in a couple of windows, busted seals, window screen repair/replace, replace a couple of light fixtures).

So if you don't have the money to do everything in the kitchen would you do it piecemeal like I listed, or do you wait and do it all at once? The colors we will choose will probably clash with the appliances. Could you live with it for a couple of years?

Comments (5)