SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Advice for getting started when move is long distance

Beth
7 years ago

Hi everyone!

I was really active on this forum 9 years ago when we built our current home. For family reasons, we're going to re-locate to the Chicago area next year. (So I'll have to come up with a better name that 'bethohio3')

As often happens, we have champagne taste on a beer budget--that's an exaggeration but we're stuck with "what we want" and "how far out of the city we're willing to be".

When we built 9 years ago, we were living in a place I'd been for 12 years, so I knew people who had built, I knew the builder's reputation, etc., etc. They owned the land already and we reworked a floor plan they had used (we'd seen one they built). We then customized the plan to our requirements. (I'm going to ignore the question of "is that a custom build" or a "semi custom build")

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to look for an architect and/or builder for a lot? We've seen a couple of lots listed that we're interested in going to look at (next trip is in October)

There are lots of tear downs happening in the areas we're interested in as well. How much does a tear down add to the cost of building? I was told that sometimes builders have a list of properties that are available for tear down that aren't really advertised. I don't know if that's true or not.

I don't know if our budget (about $500k total) is realistic for what we want where we want it. How do we find an answer to that general question?

I'm excited about the idea of building again--we've loved this house and both were really having trouble with the idea of settling for something already existing.

Comments (9)