SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

The (expensive) joy of plant fairs

User
7 years ago

Our annual party coincides with Plant Heritage's bank holiday plant fair so I make a little detour along to the local village hall where 2 dozen local nurseries display and sell their stuff. What bliss - to buy full-grown, blooming plants with no postage costs and packing nightmares while perusing the best of numerous nurseries all under one roof. Needless to say, I arrived back at the party with anemone rupicola - a sister of 'White Swan' - the taller 'Ruffled Swan', a tranche of crocosmias (which love the woodland dappled light and sandy soil), various bread and butter plants for the woods (including a couple of hardy begonias - b.Evansii) and, my top favourite, the gorgeous euonymous phellomanus (winged Chinese spindle) - a far cry from the usual dull (but useful) spindles (which thrive in the woods). Also, Salvia 'Amistad', selinum wallichianum and another molinia 'Skyracer'. I escaped the furious dance music to go and plant things with a couple of the smalls (including grand-daughter). Revived...if slightly poverty stricken.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus