SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

the JOY of being counted!

digit
16 years ago

I've just completed my "Census of Agriculture" form. I threw the letter away but the Sec. of Ag. used it to inform me again this year that answering the questions not only is a good thing but my responsibility.

There was something on their envelope that said if I didn't open it and look inside, the police would be at the door to read me my Miranda rights, slap me in handcuffs and open it for me . . .

!!"PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT!!"

oKAY! So, I sit down and start on it . . . hours later, I've not only finished all the info for my 2007 taxes but, hoarse from swearing, the census form is finished, as well!

One year, I had a follow-up phone call. The interviewer wanted me to explain my answers. I remember that there was something about filling in the number of acres in carrots as the number of square feet . . .

He acted impatient and bored. Apparently, a higher-up had dumped my form in his cubical and said, "figure this one out, Fred!"

I mean!! They want to know how many acres are in each crop and how can I do that when the entire garden amounts to less than an acre? This year, and except for the "floriculture" operation, I just used the "Then! I've got to break down the expenses. (Since the state where I live requires sales tax on the flowers - I already had the information on flower income.) And, the 1040 makes me come up with figures on seed & supplies. But, here I'm trying to separate out "chemicals" and "fertilizer!"

Then there's the real cute question, "market value of land, buildings, machinery, and equipment." Here's where I got the answer. Went to the appropriate state and then "Number of Counties: xx (Click here for a list.)"

When I got to my county, I found that the information was "dated" but that wasn't a problem - I just determined the percentage of inflation for an acre from '97 to '02. Then added that amount to get a figure for 2007.

You can see that the info's source is "NASS" but that didn't mean anything to me until I looked up that acronym . . .

Turns out it's USDAs National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS). So, it's their own Census of Agriculture numbers! There's probably some place the gov'ment has squirreled away these numbers online.

When that bored dude calls me this year and asks where I got this idea for the market value of the land - I've got an answer: "It's from your own census, dude!"

I wonder what I wrote down for that question the last time I filled this damn thing out . . .

Steve

Comments (16)

Sponsored