SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinri

Updated Entryway

NewEnglandgal
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is the furniture I chose along with two interior designers. A mirror will go above the fireplace and I was thinking something small on the table in the middle, like a couple of books or a round tray? What do you think? Tried to get different angles with my phone camera. Ignore the mess in the sun room behind this room. Storing things till rug is installed in my family room which will be next Friday. Floors done in master and they are gorgeous! Let me know if you want to see them with the Healing Aloe (or is it Soothing?) lol

Comments (24)

• User
    7 years ago

I'd get rid of that rug. It chops the room up and doesn't match anything else. For the table, a tasteful vase of fresh flowers.

NewEnglandgal thanked User
  • patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

Nancy, it's a pretty room, and I do see the gray in the chair upholstery, so that doesn't bother me. I don't care for the colors of the pillows, and think it would be a good idea to find frabric which compliments the chairs, and *wrap*the pillows you do have, or get new ones. I would like to see a blue and gray.

NewEnglandgal thanked patty_cakes42
  • Related Discussions

Need Help with Updating Entry Way Stone Wall

Q

Comments (2)
    I would save up my $, find a great General Contractor that I checked out, and talked to about taking out the wall and putting in a header with a rail or partial wall on the bottom. It would probably be worth every cent and you wouldn't be fighting it all of the time!
    ...See More

Updating Entryway Help Needed

Q

Comments (11)
    I like what you have there as well, better than the new choices. The graphic rug works with the front door. The floor is already off color, adding more colors will not help. The shape of the bench also works with the front door scroll better than the new choice. Unless you change the door and floor, I prefer what is there. Keep looking, it's been a few years there's no reason to rush. If you want to upscale, I'd look for a hand knotted rug (there are now some very modern choices) and stay with a bench that has slim legs and a slim seat. The brown bench reminds me of a pommel horse.
    ...See More

I need advice on updating entry way

Q

Comments (3)
    You could very easily replicate this Studio McGee look in your home I like the alternating spindles on the second picture but either would beautiful in your home.
    ...See More

Best wood front door for the NE - Mahogany (sapele) or Fir?

Q

Comments (7)
    We had a wood door that faced east at our previous house. It was even under a porch. The sun still came in under the porch and half the door got hit by the sun. It did a number on the door. even after putting new coat of finish on the door each year it still needed to be completely redone after a while and it wasn't cheap. I wouldn't use a wood door again.
    ...See More
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

imstillchloecat, I specifically asked the designers that very question! They both said a larger rug would bring the room together instead of it looking like furniture sitting in front of a fireplace. They also stated there was plenty of room to see the hardwoods. The rug actually matches the grey in the chairs but I know it is hard to tell in the pictures. I am interested to see what others think.

Patty, the couch came with four grey and white pillows (2 with different designs). I bought the blue and yellow pillows to add more color to the furniture. I felt the grey looked too blah but maybe thy would look better. The back pillows ARE blue. Are you saying try to find pillows with both blue and grey in the design? Can I tell you how many stores I looked in to find just the right pillows with the right design for those chairs? lol I will put the original grey and white pillows on the couch to show you how it would look with them instead.

• pkpk23
    7 years ago

You need the rug- it pulls the furniture grouping together. Assumed the gray of rug went with gray of chairs. I like the original pillows- replacement pillows are too bright. Square/rectangular book or box and vase with tall branches would look good on coffee table. Branches would remove necessity of replacing fresh flowers. Setting looks good!

NewEnglandgal thanked pkpk23
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

pkpk23 I think I have to agree on the pillows. In the store it didn't look good together. Maybe the rug helps pull the colors together. Wish i knew that before I bought the other pillows. Oh well. Thanks so much for the input so far from everyone.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the feedback Lily'smom. I was told a smaller rug would look like furniture on a small rug in front of a fireplace, like furniture just sitting there for show. They both agreed a larger rug brings the entire room together and makes it look like a room instead of throwing furniture in front of a fireplace. This was very hard for me to accept but I have to say I really do like the look of it and I would actually sit here with company where I never would before. Now that I am moving, I like the room. Figures doesn't it? I put the blue pillows in the back with the grey and white kind of striped pillows in front and that actually looks pretty good too. The designers told me because the room had been pretty much empty for awhile that it would take a bit getting used to. They both went to RISD here in RI and seem to know what they are talking about......more so than I did for sure. You can pretty much see the room from all the angles. There is no more of the room that you cannot see.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I like it all except the yellow pillows. Garish. I would do the blue pillows from the first photo, and the lighter blue pillows from the second photo. Keep the colors grays, blues with the touches of the muted reds. Remember you're selling the house, not the decorating.

Rug is fine. Just separate the two chairs just a bit more. They look squished together towards the fireplace side.

I like the arrangement that Lily'sMom is suggesting.

NewEnglandgal thanked cpartist
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The room was completely empty Stan and it is the first room you enter. I couldn't leave it empty. It was either buy or stage. Staging is expensive too so figured I'd buy. I may be able to use it in my new build. If it helps sell my house it's worth every penny!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

• patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

I think the original pilows look great since they repeat the colors in the rug, and aren't so 'garish' it's the first thing you notice. I also think they look fine with the printed upholstery. Best of luck in selling your home. Keep us posted.

NewEnglandgal thanked patty_cakes42
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you pattycakes. Still have 2 big things I am waiting on, new septic and poured foundation for the cellar. Besides that very small things left that would take a couple days at most. The guy who is doing the septic said he can get an emergency permit to do it quick. It is working just fine but we have a cesspool on the property and they are no longer allowed so fixing that.

• nini804
    7 years ago

I think it all looks very nice except for the yellow pillows, but it sounds like they are gone now! Rug looks great. Honestly, the only thing that stands out to me in a negative way is the sooty looking stain on the fireplace. Can that be addressed? Buyers might think there is a problem with the chimney or something.

NewEnglandgal thanked nini804
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nini funny enough we have never used that fireplace and plan on having a chimney sweep come in and look at everything for us. I read up on soot removal and it does not sound easy. So many little things to get done here. I am feeling like the fixes are never going to end and my house will never be ready to go on the market. This has been going on since April :( Thanks so much for your thoughts!

• missouribound
    7 years ago

I know the feeling nancy. But hang in there, you'll get there. Your house looks great from here.

NewEnglandgal thanked missouribound
  • juddgirl2
    7 years ago

Very nice! I really like the original pillows.

I can really relate to never feeling like you'll be ready to list - I was thinking we would be ready to sell our house in April too but it's taking so long to finish these last remaining open projects!

We were both working full time until DH retired in July and it was so hard to get a lot done during just nights and weekends, especially with all the extra hours we were both putting in at work. We're just finishing up the last few items and will hopefully list in the next few weeks.

Good luck!

NewEnglandgal thanked juddgirl2
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

missouribound, thank you and wishing both you and Tnfarmhousefixin, good luck too! It does feel like the fixes go on and on and on. We care closing on a house in Florida tomorrow (we are the sellers), possibly buying another in Florida and want to build here at our main location so we have a lot going on. It is really hard to get things done when working and I was in Florida for a month when my mom had emergency surgery. I'm just done with it and want it on the market before Christmas comes! lol

• missouribound
    7 years ago

I understand. It got to the point with us that we just didn't care if something wasn't done as well as we normally would do it. Now I know why there is such a long punch list with new homes.

NewEnglandgal thanked missouribound
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have a guy coming today to finish up things inside and my DH asked what needed to be done. Doorknobs that don't close, a bedroom closet needs painting, Mirrors hung in the MB bathroom and DH still needs to get the crawl space in the cellar he decided to open up fixed and he has procrastinated on this. This on top of driveway needing paving (and 3 neighbors need to agree to pay part of, 2 already have), new septic even though ours is fine right now, the guy who came said it may not be for long so we can get an emergency certificate and get it done (the guy hasn't called back and H needs to go see him and get him going) and we need brush cut but are waiting till last minute. Yes it seems like forever. Missouri I so feel your pain!!

• KATHY
    7 years ago

I would pull the sofa and chairs down a foot or two towards the front door, put a little more space in between the chairs also.

NewEnglandgal thanked KATHY
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can pull them out a little bit but not too much more as they would be too close to the door.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

We are obsessing over this awkward room! Perfection is the enemy of good enough. You've already over-achieved on good enough!

NewEnglandgal thanked Stan B
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOl Stan I wouldn't say obsessing since I do not have the time to obsess as I have many more things I am working on, not just this room (and yes it sure is an awkward room), I'd say it is a discussion of ideas. I think it is fun to hear other's opinions and ideas because many of the people commenting have such great suggestions, ideas and know what looks good. BTW my uncle (God rest his soul) had a favorite saying "good enough is never good enough." :) Thanks for the reply and support!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Doorknobs that don't close,

Yes.

a bedroom closet needs painting,

Don't bother

DH still needs to get the crawl space in the cellar he decided to open up fixed and he has procrastinated on this.

Why bother?

This on top of driveway needing paving (and 3 neighbors need to agree to pay part of, 2 already have),

How bad is the driveway?

new septic even though ours is fine right now, the guy who came said it may not be for long so we can get an emergency certificate and get it done (the guy hasn't called back and H needs to go see him and get him going) and we need brush cut but are waiting till last minute.

You sure he wasn't saying it just so he could make money? How old is the septic?

No one expects an old house to be perfect. It's more important that it show well and that things are in working order. No one if they love the house is going to care about if a closet is painted. Same regarding a crawl space fixed up.

You are in the NE USA and are missing prime selling season. Getting it on the market in before Xmas means it will sit there until mid spring, which then means people will think something is wrong with the house because it's been sitting. If you can't get it on in the next 2-3 weeks, then you might as well wait until late February/early March.

NewEnglandgal thanked cpartist
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Our realtor told us to get the cellar taken care of because it is scary looking. Why? Because DH decided to "open" the stone wall that separates the crawl space from the small full cellar we have. It has been this way for a good 3-5 years at least. Where the wall is down you can see all dirt where the crawl space used to be and now you can walk through. DH said we needed to open it up to get to the plumbing. He now has to pour a foundation and slab there or do SOMETHING.

The beginning of the driveway (a long one that goes on to connect to 4 houses in a small compound) has many deep craters in it.

The closet is a walk in closet in my MB. it will take literally a half hour to paint and may already be done (I haven't looked).

My DH dug his heels in and made this go on much longer than it has needed to. I am beyond frustrated but fretting will not change anything. I am doing my best to push things but he works a lot (runs two businesses). Selling our home in Florida and clearing it out has not helped. He will not let me make the phone calls and line things up because he knows everyone he has to call. He takes his time though when making said phone calls.

The guy who looked at our septic is a HS friend of my DH and is the best in town. He is actually giving us a deal. We had a cesspool and had a septic done (by the same guy) as a favor, a weekend deal, so now we have to make sure it is done with a certificate.

CP I was first hoping to put the house on the market in April, then June, then September. This has been a nightmare trying to get DH to move on things. I have been nagging him since January. He dug his heels in and didn't see the need for rushing it. Now here we are almost to September. and he is saying we need to get moving, If I can get the darn thing on by October, I will only keep it on till December 20th (If no buyer) and then it will go off until next March. Believe me if I had been in charge the house would be finished and had been on the market in April. DH is lucky I love him so much.