SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missouribound

Another "please review my plan" post, mainly the public area.

missouribound
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Here's the plan, redrawn on free online software. I couldn't figure out how to scan an 18x24 plan. The dimensions are close to the drawn plan. A benefit of the software is getting to put furniture in. That's when I was shocked to see how crowded the furniture looked. Oh, I see I forgot to put a window in the front bedroom. It's in the center of that wall.

RV-dominium, most likely a metal building though we will get pole barn bids as well.

Our minimum required square footage is 1250 sq ft and that is exactly what this it at present. We'd like to keep it small, but I'm afraid it may be too small, even for just the two of us.

The slab is 40x80. Absolutely cannot go over 40, and we don't know the price jump if we go over 80, but it's probably not tremendous. I am considering taking a foot off both front and back porch, making them 5 feet deep instead of 6. We will never do anything except have chairs there. In doing that, I could make the living room area 2 feet deeper and I think that would make a big difference.

Do you see anything wrong with the flow between rooms, and does the kitchen look efficient? I originally had the stove where the sink is, but dh said it has to be closer to the front because of the roof structure. So I put a window on both sides just to be able to have light, and that lost some upper cabinet space.

Not pictured, there will be a sink in the garage, so having the plumbing there is a plus.

Both the car garage and RV garage are pull through. Right now, backing in is not a problem, but we would like to have a bigger trailer, so pull through is the way to go. 14 foot doors in the RV garage, 10 foot doors in the car garage. The car garage will also be used as breezeway and for outdoor entertaining. I want to put garage doors with screens on each end. We will also have sidewall exhaust fans in both garages. And that's probably more than you wanted to know about the garages. ;)

The stairs are for attic access and ventilation. I have arthritis and can't climb fold down attic stairs any more. I need a sturdy hand rail, especially if I am carrying something big or heavy. In a previous house, we had a center stairway, and above it were operable skylights. It made a huge difference in the temperature downstairs. So we want something in the attic that opens to let out hot air and keep fresh air coming through. Dh does not want skylights. We will be gone months at a time and don't want to worry about a hail storm breaking them, and then dealing with water damage. We have discussed a shed dormer on each side with windows. The plus side to that is that we could see what is going on with the cattle without having to go out to the pasture. We haven't discussed the cost of that with any builders yet. We need to get the final slab size nailed down first.

I definitely want the bathroom setup with a half bath on each side of a shower room. I'd like to be able to enter one of the half baths from the guest room, but I just couldn't work it out without it being grand central station of doors. We have guests once or twice a year, so it really doesn't matter.

Last, is the master closet. It's a fairly big space but I can't figure out how to make the most of it. I have one tall chest that is 30"w x 24'd that has to go in there. I put it in the center opposite the door, but it could go anywhere.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (10)