SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

RBG rock garden update

The weather today has been a bit cooler and less humid, so we went to the RBG rock garden to see how all those new plantings have coped with the heat....

There's obviously a very good irrigation system installed! You can see lots of sprinkler heads. All the plantings looked great and groundcovers and other plants had spread and filled in much more than I had expected!

Some pictures....:

You don't normally think of hostas in the category of showy flowering plants, but when they are planted in big sweeps as they are in the rock garden in several places, the flower show can be startlingly impressive! This planting of 'Regal Splendor' was near where you come out into the garden from the visitors' centre:

This nice hydrangea (H. paniculata 'renhy') was growing nearby. When I looked up the name just now it appears that this has the trade name of 'First Edition Vanilla Strawberry' so the delicate color is going to change considerably!

There are now waterlilies in the water feature:

This nearby planting om Astilbe and hostas was putting on a nice show:

On the other side of the water there was a sweep of Persicaria that brought Rouge to mid :-) I think you've posted pictures of something like this....?

Not too long ago there had been a thread about allliums - was Allium 'Millenium' included on that? Not the greatest picture, but they were nice beefy compact plants/flowers.

This view looking from the bottom up to the top shows how much things have filled in:

today:

May 19:

Looking down - today:

And I seem to have hit the limit of pictures I can post....! Our next planned visit to the rock garden will be after the trees start showing fall colors. I think there should be a nice display in this garden then.

Comments (19)