SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Hard hat' tour of RBG rock garden renovations today!

DH and I had a fun morning today - we got a personal hard hat' tour of the work-in-progress renovations to the rock garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens (on the border between Burlington and Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) The rock garden dates back to 1930-31 when it was built in an abandoned quarry as a Depression-era work/beautification project. Services (e.g. water and sewer) were especially in need of updating! The original plan called for it to reopen this spring but the official opening is now planned for next spring - it looks like most of the work should be finished this summer though. There is lots of planting going on now and the construction of the new visitors center is nearing completion. The old tea-house will now be an exhibition space.

From my perspective, one of the great changes is that it is now disabled accessible as there is now a paved, gently sloping path running down into the valley on one side, across the bottom and back up the other side. Perfect! There are still stone stairways too. The lady giving us the tour says the path will be kept clear of snow in the winter to keep the garden accessible year round. She says it's very beautiful in the snow in the winter. It's been almost 20 years since I was last able to visit the rock garden, and we never went there in the winter. It would certainly make for an unusual winter outing for me!

Some pictures:

At the entrance, since 1990, there has been a large Japanese lantern - a gift from Fukuyama, Hamilton's 'sister city'. It's a pretty impressive thing! There are a lot of Japanese maples, evergreen trees, and perennials in the rock garden. It must have an impressive fall color display, and a fall visit is on our to-do list when/if it is open then.

Looking down into the valley/garden - some of the concrete you can see here is the paths, but some of it is watercourse. There is a waterfall that starts to the left of the lantern, cascades over a rock 'staircase' and will flow along a concrete watercourse, then get piped back to the top (i.e. it is not a naturally occurring waterfall - although there are lots of them in the Hamilton area; Hamilton is known as 'the city of waterfalls'.)

Down at the bottom, looking back up towards where the previous picture was taken:

The concrete basin you can see on the right edge of the above picture will contain water lilies - the lily pools:

The building at the top is the visitors center, under construction - note the roof... it is shaped like a leaf!

...for some reason, I can't seem to upload any more pictures! I'll post this and then see if I can add the rest as replies....

Comments (13)