SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasranger2

The unusual garden year of 2016

texasranger2
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Was 2016 a weird year for anyone else? I'd like to hear how the rest of the US, Canada and the UK did this year. Was yours a strange gardening year?

Is it climate change or just one of those off years?

We finally got a hard freeze night before last. I shot these right before it hit to get the last of the remaining flowers but that night finally spelled THE END and it was unusually late this year. Trees had finally started to turn a couple weeks ago with a frost and we got to see a couple weeks of tree color at least but now everywhere you look it is covered in a thick layer of leaves because most fell in a single night all over the city (except for the semi-deciduous oaks). This usually happens in November.

The year was also strange for bloom times. Some fall blooming plants bloomed in late spring or early summer, some grasses put up blooms early and then went dormant before fall arrived while others bloomed on schedule.

It's been a dry year as well although the areas around us have had plenty of rain and at times too much. We seemed to have been locked in a doughnut hole of dry. We finally got some rain Saturday but could sure use some more.

I shot some last gasp pictures of flowers to share and what I thought was some nice fall colors before the end came, I love the subtle colors of fall and winter.

Native Texas Scutelleria wrightii in front of Blue Grama grass

All yellow annual Gaillardia and Little Bluestem

Muhlenbergia riverchonni, Opuntia macrocentra, Blue Grama Grass, Agave parryi

Globe Mallow and Salvia Greggi

Desert Marigold, Opuntia macrocentra, Blue Grama

Dalea Greggi (winter bloomer)

Salvia greggi, single flower Zinnia, Mexican Hats

Big Bend Cactus aka 'Sid Vicious' turning winter colors, Little Bluestem, Spanish Lavender

Night Blooming Hesperaloe and Mexican Hats

Salvia greggi

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz