SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

Tips for leveling out bumps in lawn

lilylchen
7 years ago

I have a fescue lawn that I've been repairing from bermuda grass invasion. Last year, I ended up killing off some of it with either too much Ornamec, or too late in the season (nearly winter). In any case, I took the "opportunity" in one area to just try and manually pull out semi-dead the bermuda runners. But in doing so, really messed up the evenness off the soil. I reseeded it in early spring and that came up nicely, but the problem with the unevenness is that when the gardeners mow it, parts of it get scalped.(Another spot I left totally alone and just reseeded it in early spring is doing great because it gets mowed evenly. Sigh - wish I'd just left it alone and addressed any bermuda sprouts individually)

I've been using about a 50/50 mixture of topsoil and sand and tossing some on every couple of weeks (very small incremental raising of the level). I hand brush it in so that the blades of grass aren't flattened by it. The problem is, I'm not sure it's every really going to level out - it's just really hard to see the soil level under the growing grass.

Any tips? Should I try and "flood" the area with water in hopes that it levels out naturally? Can I "sweep" it over or rake it over some way? I'm trying to "feel" for the dips, but that's kind of hard. Should I just top the whole thing off with topsoil in fall, covering the grass but so that I can at least see it being level, maybe run a roller over it, and reseed it again?

We are talking about a 4 x 4 ft area on the sidewalk strip.

Comments (6)