SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Qs on Jacob's Ladder, Great Blue Lobelia, Echinacea Butterfly Kiss

7 years ago

Hi everyone. I got a few new perennial plants this year, and one last year, and have some Qs....

Note that all my plants are IN POTS, as I only have a balcony.

First off on the Jacob's ladder. I got a small plant around April perhaps. It did develop a few really small purple flowers, and then there was evidence of other new flower buds but they sort of remained stagnant...never grew anymore or opened up (and they remain as you can see in pix below). And then in the meantime, I did get lots of new leaf growth. Is this typical?...Maybe this plant flowers more in the Spring, and since it didn't have enough of a headstart to get established in its new larger pot (the pot I have it in now is about 12-14"), maybe that's why flowers never really developed....maybe it will be better next year?

On my Great Blue Lobelia. Also bought a small plant around May of this year. It's growing really well and now actually appears a bit 'leggy'. I am now also starting to see some purple flowers, which is nice. With a leggy plant like this, normally my instinct would be to prune the stems just above a set of leaves, in order to promote new bushy growth. However in looking at online photos it appears this is the normal growth habit of this plant....tall individual stalks...and perhaps are more leaves and flowers develop, that in and of itself will solve the 'legginess' issue and help the plant look fuller and self-support the stalks. Would you agree?

On both of the above plants I do also notice a slight yellow/green tinge to some of the leaves. I do take care to water them everyday however, esp. with the hot NYC temps we've been having. I also periodically add fish fertilizer to my watering. Do you think from the pix that the yellow/green tinge looks problematic at this point?

Lastly on my Echinacea Butterfly Kisses. I got this plant last Summer and it grew a flower or two, but then my cat got to it and at them. ;-) After that the plant didn't really thrive. However, this year in that same pot (which also houses some purple heuchera), I now see evidence of some new green leafy growth, which doesn't look like any of the usual 'weeds' my pots get. Do any of you with Echinacea think this looks like it could indeed be my EBK making a comeback?

Thanks very much all!

(will have to try posting pix later...often times for some reason the post photo function doesn't work here....and then later it works just fine... ;-(

Comments (7)