SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

Humid basement bathroom with window

EvaElizabeth
7 years ago

The bathroom basement was finished after the house was built by a previous owner without a vent/fan and has a combo shower/bath. I think it was built this way because there is a window in the shower, but even with the window open all night after a shower, the bathroom just doesn't seem to air out. Is there some kind of fan we can install in the shower window to help with ventilation? I'm wondering if part of the reason the air doesn't move is because of the window well?

The tub surround and ceiling are completely tiled, included the window ledge and surround, and in the other half of the ceiling already has a regular air duct and light fixture so there isn't a lot of room to work with as far as just installing a regular exhaust fan. It's a small bathroom, and it seems to become sopping wet after even a reasonably short shower, and the odor is odd - it's not mildew or mold or anything, it's hard to describe.

Suggestions would be great!

Comments (3)

• worthy
    7 years ago

Introducing exterior air during the spring or summer only increases the humidity level in a basement, raising the dew point to 55ºF.

So stop opening windows and do, as noted by the previous poster, install a fan and/or run a dehumidifier.

The chances of mould growth behind the walls, not only from a poorly waterproofed shower, but from water sensitive insulation in the walls, is high.

• PRO
    Attics to Basements Building & Renovations, Inc.
    7 years ago

I would agree the best think to do is add a bathroom fan, Panasonic makes a great one that turns on/off automatically as needed. You very well could have mildew or mold growth behind the trim or sheetrock. So contacting a mold expert to do some simple testing may be good for your health and future mold damage. Also when buying a bath fan make sure to buy one that is above minimum code they do not work well enough if you don't have a straight run out of the house when venting it.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor