SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddups_

Philodendron advice needed

ddups_
7 years ago

I got this philodendron selloum (that's what it is, right?) a couple months ago at the beginning of the summer. It appeared to be rootbound so I immediently took it out of its nursery pot and potted it up to this plastic container. It was that much bigger, only about two inches larger at most. I made the mistake of not removing the soil from the roots.

Adter the first time I watered I lost a leaf to what I assumed was rot. The soil looked very wet and was still looking bad a week later. I may have lost another leaf too, so I figured I did something wrong. And after some research I decided I needed to take the plant out and bare root it. I cut away any roots that looked rotted (most were okay though) and I let the plant dry out outside in the shade a bit.

I repotted it with cactus and succulent mix with added perlite. And didn't water it for a while. It was doing well baby leaves popped up from the bottom and a few new shoots came up too.

I watered it the other day when the pot had almost completely dried out. A day later a larger leaf had collapsed and looked rotted at the base.

Should I be concerned?

The baby leaves. Taken about a month ago, they're about double in size now.

Thanks in advanced for any advice!

Comments (6)