SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Tall cabinet for coffee, toaster, microwave

mrspete
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am tired of these things cluttering up my counters, and in my new house I want a tall cabinet to keep them hidden. Something like this:

We are not big coffee drinks, but we have a Keurig machine, so we need space to store the little K-cups. I don't think I want to bother with a dedicated water line -- like I said, we're not big coffee drinkers. Of course, we need to store coffee mugs nearby -- maybe in the top drawer?

We are also not big microwave users. We use it to warm leftovers and make popcorn. I'm thinking I'd like it to be mounted above (on a shelf?) above the coffee maker. A small microwave is fine.

Finally, I want this area to hold the toaster. Just a standard two-slot toaster.

This will be next to the refrigerator, and I'm thinking I'd like to use one of the drawers as my bread drawer (I'm also sick of bread lying out on my counter). Reasoning: A person making a sandwich would have the bread and sandwich items all in one place.

So, we come to the question portion of our discussion:

- How wide is ideal for such a cabinet? My current Keurig is about 12" wide and 17" tall. Right now I have it sitting on a pull-out tray sized to hold the K-cups, but I'm completely ambivalent about keeping the tray -- it does make the Keurig taller than it already is.

- Should it be a cabinet-type door, or a lift-up door, or something else? Assume this needs to fit in with traditional-looking cabinets -- nothing dramatic or "different".

- What about a pull-out tray vs. countertop material?

- Any hints on the placement of the electrical outlets? I'm thinking a little high would be best, especially if we go with a sliding tray since the cord wouldn't get "caught" under the pull-out.

- Anything else I'm not anticipating?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County