SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_goleno

What happens when a bluebird nest is destroyed before it finds a mate?

Jeff Goleno
7 years ago

This is off topic, but maybe someone on here can answer this for me... I have a condo and outside my front door a bluebird built a nest on top of the fire sprinkler that sticks out of the wall a few inches from the ceiling... One night I came home to find that the condo management had removed the nest... A few days later I noticed that one of the birds was back... Every night for the last few months the same bird comes back to where the nest used to be and roosts there all night... Is this normal... I feel bad for it... I can't find any info on bluebird habits... If they build a nest and it gets destroyed before they find a mate do they just stay there until next season? Or could it have been a baby that once lived in that nest? It just really bothers me... I'm not sure if there we're already eggs or babies in the nest... All I know is that this sad little bird comes back to the same spot every night and seems pretty lonely... I talk to it and I leave food outside a few times a week, but I really would like to know what has caused this behavior... I would just like to know if this is normal, or if loosing it's nest has confused it or traumatized it in some way... Any thoughts on this would be great... Thanks...

Comment (1)