SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a2lintra

Watery Meadow** / Silver Maple Rain Garden Challenge

Liz T
7 years ago
Currently part of the Master Rain Gardener course. I have, perhaps, too many possibilities for where to put a rain garden, and none of them simple due to the silver maple roots running all through my front and back yards.

Background: I'm something of an experimenter, and I can be real slow to complete projects. I hate lawn, so I've spent a big chunk of my gardening life to date putting in planting beds over the lawn. I've had some spectacular veggie gardens in the past, but we decided to rebuild my veggie garden last year, so we tore out the boxes. This year, we were considering moving, so we didn't get them rebuilt.

I am working full time while also pursuing my Masters of Science in Accounting full time, while also trying to keep my hubby walking by playing Pokemon go - and also taking this class. So... I'm basically out of my mind.

Last year, I watched some youtube videos and tried to put in my first sub-irrigated garden bed. (Learn more here. http://www.growtolearn.org/wp-content/uploads/How-to-Build-A-Sub-Irrigated-Raised-Bed.pdf). I don't understand baby steps, so I made a huge one. I used a cheaper liner since I wasn't planning to grow food in the bed, and took a lot of shortcuts. I never really got enough dirt to fill it right, but perfection-kills-done, so I threw in a ton of forget-me-not seeds and called it 'done for now'.

I mostly did it as a learning experience for the veggie boxes that were supposed to go in this year. :) I'd be using food grade pond liner in those. But now I think I'd use the hugelkultur method, perhaps somewhat hybridized with the sub-irrigation knowledge. https://richsoil.com/hugelkultur/

As you can see, I'm all over the place. I have my two south-side gutters feeding into the sub-irrigated bed. The bed has drains at about the middle so it never actually floods the plants. My thought at the time was I'd put a rain garden in front of it. Then I started digging and it was roots, roots, roots. I should have known... but as usual, I underestimated the problem, and overestimated the time I have to deal with it.

In the meantime, we have only gotten enough rain for the drains on the sub-irrigated box to be needed once - during the Ann Arbor downpour a few weeks back. So, now I'm not sure it's a good place for a rain garden, roots aside.

I'm going to continue through my options, with more pictures, in the next post on this thread.

Things I need advice about:
* Pros and Cons I'm missing
* How to dig around tree roots fast-ish
* Keeping the rain garden butterfly and hummingbird-centric
* Also, looking for divisions of natives that really tolerate dryness for my easement flower boxes. I don't water them, and won't, so I'm hoping to make them 'easy'. They'll need to transplant well in fall.
* How to irradicate Snow on the Mountain. Ugh, 5 years of weeding this stuff out, and it keeps coming back.

** Watery Meadow is my nickname for my property. I read somewhere that's what the name of the street means, but it's also fairly accurate.

Comments (2)