SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanj

Multi-acre property question

nanj
7 years ago

We are seriously considering a piece of property in South Carolina that is 6-8 acres (size is negotiable). It is on the top of a ridge, has a gentle slope and is mostly open with a few trees scattered throughout. Right now it looks like a typical field but there are a lot of low growing thorny shrubs that I think are Southern Dewberry. Does anyone have experience with "transforming" property? How do you eliminate such undesirable plants without grading and reseeding?

The thorny shrubs are in the foreground of the photo,

We will landscape a modest area around our home and will leave the rest of the property open. We want to be able to walk the property and let our dogs run but with the thorny growth that won't be possible.

I plan to contact the local university extension office but wanted to ask this community for input since there is such a wealth of knowledge in these forums. I frequent the home side more nowadays than the garden side since we are planning our retirement home build next year. If I should cross-post to another forum, let me know.

Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (9)