SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Possibly downsizing from 44 acres . . . to 1/2 acre

mrspete
10 years ago

We own a lovely piece of land upon which we've been planning to build: 44 acres of wooded, flat acreage. We have plenty of privacy, mature trees, views are nothing special.

Now we're wondering, though, if that's what we want for our retirement house. My husband, especially is reconsidering the costs associated with bringing in a lengthy driveway, electricity, water, etc. He's never been a fan of yard work, and he's reconsidering taking on a larger job -- in our later years.

We've lived in the country, and we've lived in the suburbs. We understand the differences in privacy, lifestyle, home associations. These are reasonable considerations, but right now we're thinking just of logistics of building a house.

The upshot: We're considering choosing a small lot. We've been planning as if we had unlimited space, so I'd appreciate some insight:

- The house we're planning to build is small -- about 48' x 30 (emphasis on "about", that's not an exact number), BUT we'll have a garage to the side, which'll bring the house to 70-75' wide. My current house is wider than this, but we're on a generous acre. If we go to a typical 1/2 acre, will the side garage prove problematic?

- We're planning a good-sized covered patio and a small pool out back. On a typical 1/2 acre lot, could we reasonably do this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (15)