SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blair71

When do leaves naturally fall off European Hornbeams?

Mike B.
7 years ago

I purchased three 12' (2" caliper) Frans Fontaine European Hornbeams in June of last year as I got a great deal b/c the local nursery was going out of business. I was concerned about them making it since I'm not experienced with trees and they were planted in the middle of summer, but I bought three Gator Bags and watered them religiously last year. I held my breath over the winter and by the time spring came along, they were thriving. I should note that even though these trees were "thriving," they were not "full of leaves"...they looked healthy but they were still somewhat partially-bare due to the condition I bought them in and the "shock" loss of leaves after I had them planted (this is my novice theory at least).

Because Hornbeams are supposed to be so resilient and they grew during the spring, I didn't worry about watering them as much this year. That said, I didn't disregard them so I used my Gator Bags and watered them once per week this year. Everything looked great until I went out to water them today and I noticed the trees looked really bare! I hadn't noticed this until tonight but the trees have dropped lots of leaves!

My question is...when are European Hornbeams supposed to start dropping leaves naturally? It seems like early August is pretty early (to me at least...but what do I know?). There aren't a bunch of dried, brown leaves on the trees, so I'm hoping I didn't under-water them. I have attached some photos of the trees.

Is this natural this early in the season or did I possibly under-water?

Top photo - One Hornbeam 1 year go. Middle photo - The three Hornbeams today. Bottom Photo - Same Hornbeam (as the 1st photo) from 1 year ago compared to today.

Comments (2)