SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meisocal

Restarting Dead Lawn

meisocal
7 years ago

My back yard lawn is dead and infested with weeds. I live in the inland areas of Southern CA (USA9b). The area is the NorthWest part of my house with shade in the area immediately next to the house and full sun in the rest. The ground is hard, very compacted and needs lots of loving care.

My intent is to dig/till the area to loosen the dirt and also to add some much needed compost. Then plan to seed with clover/alfalfa knowing that they will help improve the soil. But what I have been advised to do is to mix in some grass seed so that when they die back in the summer, the grass will show. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of grass would grow well with the clover/alfalfa without being choked out.

I'm thinking I will seed this fall with clover/alfalfa, and when spring comes, over seed with the grass seed before they die back.

Foot traffic tolerance in a must as I have dogs and we plan to get chickens in the near future (may let them graze). Preferably low/no mow and definitely drought tolerant with low water needs.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH