SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikaelholzhauer

What color for the INSIDE of an exterior door?

Fam of6
7 years ago

Hi everyone, long-time (daily) lurker, first-time poster. Can't tell you how much the GardenWeb forums have helped me over the past 2 years for all the planning and now building of our dream/forever home. I trust your opinions fully, y'all are awesome!

I originally posted this in the Paint forum, but Home Decorating may be a better spot to ask...

We're closing in on the end of our project, and finalizing paint colors this weekend. We have an open floor plan, with living room, dining room, and kitchen combined, and no foyer. The front door opens right into the main room. We've picked SW Escape Gray for this main room, and we have stained wood trim - a custom mix of Golden Oak and Early American. I would have loved stained-wood doors as well, but alas - not in the budget. We have a 3/4 fiberglass door with sidelights for the front door, and a set of french doors leading to the screened back porch. So what color do we paint the INSIDE of the exterior doors? The same color as the walls? Is there a rule of thumb about this? (I feel like the stained wood trim limits our options a bit, as opposed to a white trim...yes? no?)

Thanks in advance! Any pictures would be much appreciated, I am totally a visual learner.

Comments (15)