SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwright221

Backsplash too loud?? Need advice!

jwright221
7 years ago

Hey everyone!

I need some thoughts! I ordered 1 square foot of this hand-made tile from Home Depot, and it arrived with a really light blue sheen, with just a thin dark strip at the sides. We loved it and ordered more, and then made the mistake of only opening the boxes the day before the install. The side lines were MUCH thicker and darker, but I figured it would be Ok. Added to that, our contractor bought dark brown grout, thinking it was black, which exactly matched the darkness on the edge of the tiles. Now that it's all up it just doesn't work for me. It seems too bold and checkerboard-y and the darkness on the tile feeds into the grout making it seem muddy.

I'm devastated, because I put so much into trying to pull together every piece of this kitchen and it's so close to being perfect, but there's this one major piece that just doesn't seem right any more and I have no idea how to fix! Would it work to lighten, or even darken the grout? I also plan on painting the window trim to match the bottom cabinets, so that may help somewhat. And adding knobs, so that might stop it from seeming so bottom heavy.

(We were still assembling the room after painting it yesterday - obviously the window sill is not the permanent location of the soap, and we need to swap out the water filter for a black version.)

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Live with it for a while; don't panic.

• Jillius
    7 years ago

Take a few deep breaths. The worst case scenario is that you live with it for a bit, it never grows on you, so you pay an extra chunk to get a different backsplash installed.

I'm sure that whole prospect is deeply aggravating in the middle of trying so hard to get it all right, but neither the bother nor the money is going to be that large in the grand scheme of things in your life. Especially as you get farther in time from this project.

We had to pay to redo some electrical in our kitchen after we changed our mind drastically about the layout. It did cost a chunk that was painful at the time, but as I tell you this now, I can't think of the last time I thought about it. About that money. About the annoyance of redoing it. None of it. Our kitchen works and looks much better now with the improved layout, we're satisfied with the result, and that satisfaction with your space is what you carry with you every day as you use your kitchen. The extra $500 or $1000 you spend once a year or three ago fades.

That is the WORST case scenario, and it is very far from the end of the world. It's also entirely possible that after living with this backsplash for a couple months, you'll get used to it and decide you love it. That's pretty common too.

So, deep breaths. This will be fine one way or another, and you will end up with a kitchen you love one way or another.

• Related Discussions

Wet Bar Backsplash ...advice needed!

Q

Comments (2)
    I always wondered why you needed a mirror to pour yourself a shot. It was a cliche' that I pandered to when customers wanted it. No so much anymore. But I have to admit it does look shiny nice with mirrors on the walls in former closet spaces. (I'm a non-drinker and I don't like looking at myself, so take these reflections with a soupcon of salt on your tequila.)
    ...See More

Wet Bar Backsplash ...advice needed!

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I think once we have all the cabinets and counters installed, we will buy a framed mirror and put it up to see how it looks (thanks for the advice sweeby). I was in a mirror store and the lady pointed me to a bronze finish mirror which she said people put up in wet bars. It has a smokeyish brownish tint, and seems to reduce the glare. Not sure if this will work with the colors we have chosen for the bar though....(Aristokraft sasparilla and cambria aragon countertops...stainless hardware and appliances. lesleyintn...I would LOVE to see pictures of your mirrored wet bar!
    ...See More

Need help with our backsplash! Too busy?

Q

Comments (16)
    How did these two people impress you otherwise? I met two amazing-amazing!-designers in two different tile shops(both very upscale). It was like seeing magic. The space didn't even exist yet..I started describing it..in a very awkward way..and that lady, she just started drawing as I spoke..that was the first time when I actually saw my future bath..three-dimensional and all..and I and my DH, we kinda designed it, and talked it over with the GC, and there were blueprints, so I was supposed to know it, right? and she never heard of it even..yet she was able to show me the space that existed just in my head, and to show it better than I imagined it myself. That was incredible. I'll never ever forget it So if people who told you that..if they amazed and inspired you like this lady amazed me-then consider, of course otherwise..go with your guts:) because I've been to many many tile shops and met many people..and I remember only these two ladies. Ah, and the one I actually told you about-she also owned the shop..and couple others. 30 years in business, something like that. Maybe 40, I wouldn't be surprised. experience and knowledge of what you sell count. And I hope you did show them the kitchen..right? not only the stone? or tried to draw the plan, describe it otherwise?
    ...See More

Need quick backsplash tile advice - too much lip(page)?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I sent detailed texts about my concern with pictures and it appears he is unwilling to fix it (says he doesn't have time??). This isn't the first disagreement I've had with this guy but it's the most blatant one (I was willing to concede the benefit of the doubt before - nobody is perfect). So I think I'll just look for someone else to finish the job. Guess this means more delays but I'd rather it be done right and wait a little longer.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I like it. I agree live with it. I would not be surprised if you change your mind. It almost looks like a basket weave. Can you post a picture of a tile or link. Definitely wait until everything is completely done.

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

I have never said anything bad about someone's kitchen choices..... But, I agree with you. Doesn't work and it sure would not grow on me. I would rip it out and take the loss. I feel for you, it takes a lot of thought and probably headaches to pull everything together to realize your vision for the kitchen. Many things take on a very different tone, color, maybe too big or too small etc. and it's not til their actually installed that it shows up. I have some things that I wish I had made different choices on.

• mkuyekawa
    7 years ago

Yes, it's loud. But it is also kind of fun. I would live with it for a bit too. If you keep it, the only part I don't really think works is up against the bricks.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

There is a grout paint product. I have heard good things about it. You could use it to lighten the grout.

• lisaam
    7 years ago

What if the grout were lighter and if the red brick was painted to match the cabinets?

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Are the doors going back on the stove wall?

I love the brick, but the backsplash just doesn't work with it.

I love your wooden table which looks great with the brick, but the backsplash just doesn't work.

The exposed hinges work with the brick and the table, but the backsplash just doesn't work.

You asked, so I'm expressing my opinion, and that's all it is.

You could use a blue tile, just not that tile with that blue.

• herbflavor
    7 years ago

if ypu don't want to change the brick to a striking dark gray or white paint then mount something like red white blue stars/folk art flag or something that blends the red of the brick witwhite and gray cabs and blue-gray tile...pictures with wide white frames mounted on the brick. ?? I agree with lisaam that the brick is the one thing that stands out...normally I'd say the brick is great, leave it, but it's not lining up with your other colors and textures...so paint or use it as a backdrop and mount some things there. To paint the brick is worth a thought as you've left the brown and reddish tones now with the white/gray you've picked.

• kelleg69
    7 years ago

My vote would be to start over. The brick wall is so great and the blue tile is detracting from that. It is also making your kitchen look choppy. Personally, I would choose a white subway to pull it all together. You could do a non standard size--either longer than normal, or smaller. But, a white tile. Just my opinion. Overall, the kitchen is great!

• romy718
    7 years ago

Pretty cabinets & countertops I like the white uppers with the gray lowers. Love the brick wall. You're right - your kitchen is perfect, except the backsplash. I'd also recommend a plain white with white grout & let your other elements take center stage. Backsplash is hard - many others on this forum have removed a backsplash mistake.

• iluvgardens
    7 years ago

I love your natural brick in the kitchen. I agree with you that the tile and grout are too loud. I would do a matte soft white subway tile with white grout. I would stick to white for the grout since your tile is next to your brick and you need to deal with the mortar color of it. But you know what will work for you, it will look good when you are done!

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

You have made some gorgeous choices. And I too love your unpainted brick. I do think the backsplash, though lovely, is a bit much given that wonderful brick and the two-tone cabinetry. (I say this only because you asked.).

I actually think the best backsplash in your space might well be a slab of your countertop material. Barring that, I would try to match the upper cabinets in color and I would consider a shape and/or size that is very distinct from the bricks. Either square tiles or larger rectangles. . . .

If you decide to try a different grout color, I would suggest considering a grout that most closely blends with the tile. Perhaps a medium grey?

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Sigh.....you are not alone. This happens quite often. To review, you did like the tile and it had a very thin black strip on the sides. But, to me, even if the other boxes still had the same thin strips, it would still look like a very similar version of what you have now.

I have never seen tile like this. I am not sure what grout would complement this. Did you see a sample board?

Sometimes when given time, things grow on you. I just don't think that this is the case here. When you have such a strong gut reaction to something, it usually does not change. It's frustrating to work so hard on something and to not be over the moon pleased.

I made a mistake with my backsplash. We had it ripped out the next day! I lived with damaged dry wall for 6 more months until I found something to replace it. And, I was happy to look at that for all those months rather than my mistake.

As you can see here, most agree that it doesn't work.

I'm on the fence with the brick. I probably would have dry walled over. Although I love exposed brick as a design feature, this column of brick looks awkward to me.

• akl_vdb
    7 years ago

I've ripped up a backsplash. It was $30/sq. ft. x 30 sq ft plus labour. I don't even think about it anymore. It was painful at the time. Grand scheme of things, small. We have all done it! We have these visions and they don't look like it by the end of the project. Live with it for a bit, see if you change your mind. If you don't, rip it out if you can.

Looking closer, can you guys change the grout? Wondering if that's whats making it look so heavy.

I love the exposed brick.

Breathe. It's ok. It's a backsplash. It will work out.

• dcward89
    7 years ago

I agree with you that the backsplash just doesn't work and I don't think living with it will help. Am I the only one that thinks the scale of the backsplash is somehow off? I think smaller tile, no blue. I would go for a smaller format tile in white with matching grout.

• browncoat
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen - but I agree with the others that the backsplash throws the look off. Also, the blue feels wrong. Were it my kitchen, I would match the exposed brick for the backsplash. Brick is a bit unconventional for a backsplash, but if you can get it to match, it would be gorgeous. It would also tie in the fantastic light fixtures and the colors of the cart/island. Imagine the brick continued as a backsplash, but lit with under cabinet lighting - it would highlight the (very cool) texture, and give you a completely unique, classic kitchen.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

I also hated my backsplash and ripped it out the next day. It was an expensive mistake, but not one I was willing to live with. There was no way I was going to learn to like it. If you feel that way, no sense waiting to tear it out.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I'd try a lighter grout first.

• eam44
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Grout will make no difference. Neither will staring at it for a while. It's the wrong tile. Pull it down, clean it up. Start over. It's like ripping off a BandAid.

You've done beautiful work with your other choices. It's going to be lovely when you're finished.

• jwright221
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all so much!!! This has helped so much, both to realize that this really isn't the end of the world, and to help crystallize why it wasn't working for me. The vintage feel with the original top cabinets, exposed brick and wood island and marble countertops is what I'm going for and it just doesn't mesh style-wise. We will live with it for a while, out of necessity. But I'm thinking of getting a subtle carrara marble subway tile, with a light grout!

Just FYI- the brick is the chimney (oil burner) which we exposed. It juts out and we can't put cabinets there. So in person it makes sense that there is one column. Plus I love it, and it's a piece of the 1920's house. The vintage schoolhouse shades are from an amazing salvage store in Toronto, called the Door Store (if anyone here is from Toronto.) We live in NYC now, but I grew up there and we brought the shades back on the plane. (My parents used to shop there with me in tow, 30 years ago!)

As to the tile, it's hand made in Spain and I think the finish just wasn't right on this batch. What looks like a black line is actually the finish not extending all the way to the ends, so you see the masonry. The sample batch I bought was a very light blue, the lightest that you see in the tile now, with just a teeny unfinished edge. This batch has really large unfinished sections on one side. It really probably was a flaw, and we shouldn't have rushed to put it up just because our guy was coming the next day. Lesson learned!!

I've included some more photos, including two befores- one from us and one from the listing.
    Top cabinets are the originals, just painted. Part of the last minute adjustment in this kitchen was also because the marble guy had told us the original cabinets wouldn't support the marble. Knowing we couldn't get a base cabinet to match the uppers, we went to Ikea and did a two tone look. But that did throw off our plans for a blue-and-white kitchen. I actually did adjust the tile a little, but didn't realize how dark they were going to be. And it was all a crazy rush, because we already didn't have a kitchen sink for 3 weeks when we realized we had to replace the cabinets. To be sanguine, things would be a LOT more serious if there was a problem with the stone, or the cabinets they rest on.

Thanks again!! I wish I had found this thread sooner, but will definitely be reaching out as we renovate some more of our house!

I have some more 'before' pictures here, on the blog that I did not end up having time to keep up!

https://thisoldqueenshouse.wordpress.com/

• eam44
    7 years ago

I think marble is a mistake. Consider glazed ceramic tile in a neutral color that goes well with the brick.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

You're right - tile HAS to go! You've done SUCH a great job with a real dog of a kitchen! And I like the idea of the Carrera marble tile for a backsplash. I'd consider honed marble to go with the old brick. I got mine at <http://www.carraratiles.com>; They were a delight to work with and have a HUGE selection. I got the 3x12 tiles as I wanted less grout (my kitchen is choppy) and the 3x12 tiles were whiter than the 4x12. The woman who answers the phone is FABULOUS - really knows her mdse and the colors that are currently in stock. Prices are great, too. Use white grout for a clean look. You might consider taking the tile around the window as well. When one has a choppy kitchen, every tiny pieces of wall that can be made neutral helps. Ask me how I know after living 32 years with one and on my 3rd redecorating - it has gotten simpler and more neutral each time!

I'd get rid of this as quickly as possible. You can take down the tile yourself - messy but doable and you don't have a lot. Order samples of the Carrera marble tiles you like - they DO keep a record of the dye lot so you can be sure you will actually receive the same tile!

We've all made mistakes over the years This one is minor in the relative scheme of things. You're getting there!

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I cannot take my eyes off of your before pictures. I'm speechless, absolutely speechless.

Your new kitchen is so great, except for the backsplash. Sorry

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Do you have a link to the tile to see if it looks different with different grout.

The issue with the colors of the edge and the grout is that it makes the tiles look like they're bulging forward/out.

Before ripping them out, I'd explore if there's a way to change the grout or if there's some material (cement, mortar???) that could even go partially over the tiles, kind of like with bricks.

• rantontoo
    7 years ago

Because of the brick, did you try any samples that look warmer?

• Sandplum1
    7 years ago

Seriously, a sweet job you've done so far and so much potential! Glad you've decided against the blue (which doesn't necessarily look bad-it just doesn't fit the look you're trying to achieve.) BTW, I don't suppose your husband has ever been compared to Aaron Kaufman, has he?