SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Thinking of going to Chicago

Kathsgrdn
7 years ago

for Fall break with two exchange students I'm hosting this year. I have only been to Chicago in the airport and years ago riding from O' Hare to Rantoul. I know nothing about it, other than it's expensive to stay in the city. I was thinking of the hostel downtown or finding a suburb to stay in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be the first week in October for 3 or 4 days.

Comments (30)

• Abby Krug
    7 years ago

What a great choice! As you probably know, Chicago suffered a tremendous fire early in the 20thC. and was rebuilt by some of the greatest modern architects of the centurey- there are great resources and tours about the architecture- plus the Art Institute is fab - and not to big for teenagers to get through :-) Of course there are the Frank Lloyd Wright houses too. I don't have any advice on where to stay. Could exchange houses with someone maybe?

Kathsgrdn thanked Abby Krug
  • User
    7 years ago
    Kathsgrdn thanked User
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

So many things to take into consideration (I live in Chicagoland for more than 25 years). One thing to help you determine what to do is the interests and ages of your students. Younger teens might enjoy one thing and older teens something else.

Either way, Shedd Aquarium is wonderful. It is a great place and the setting (on the lakefront) is super. Across Lake Shore Drive is Field Museum of Natural History. In the University of Chicago area, you might consider Museum of Science and Industry, which includes its get-into-it coal mine and a real Russian submarine.

The weather might have an influence on what you do once you get there, thus research is necessary to figure choices for windy/rainy days or absolutely beautiful autumn temperatures with blue skies.

The are many, many things to consider in the suburbs; again, you need to determine what might interest your students. There are great things in the entire metro area.

As Abby mentioned, the great Chicago Fire was historic (as was the Peshtigo, Wisconsin fire at the same time). Early October was when that occurred. My relatives moved from the Cincinnati area to Chicago to help rebuild the city as they were carpenters.

I have included a link that you might find interesting. Take you time sifting through all the information. Stay somewhere near to what you intend to see. Downtown is good, but there might be something big going on there that would have the price of rooms go higher than you would like.

Things to do in Chicago

Kathsgrdn thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was just looking at Airbnb site. Even the hostels are expensive!

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

I grew up in Arlington Heights, a suburb about 20 miles northwest of the city. I searched airbnb and found some reasonable places there. You can take the train into the city, which I highly recommend to avoid traffic. Once in the city, you can walk to most places you want to see, or take an Uber. October should be beautiful. My favorite thing to do, especially if the weather is bad, is the Field museum. There are so many cool exhibits that teens would like. Also, the Museum of science and industry is very cool. They have a coal mine exhibit where you actually take an elevator down into a mine and ride a coal train. Also, streets of yesteryear is very cool-authentic turn of the century town with a cobblestone street. Also, the miracle mile for shopping, millenium park to see the bean, Navy pier to ride the ferris wheel.

Kathsgrdn thanked sleeperblues
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

It's a German submarine, WW2 vintage U-boat.

The Art Institute, in the main part of town, has a very fine collection.

I've been to Chicago many times and have always enjoyed it. There's good ethnic food to be found too.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    7 years ago

I've been to Chicago four times, and every time I hope I will like it. I just don't. It's not a comfortable place to be, to me, and it's just weird. Like it's trying too hard to be something it's not - like it wants to be New York (it's not even close). It's dirty and the people are among the rudest I've ever encountered anywhere - including Paris. :/

That said - the Field Museum is great. Expensive, but great.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

Thanks for the correction on the submarine.

Brookfield Zoo or Lincoln Park Zoo.

Pizza - so many choices.

If you don't want to take taxis or do a lot of walking, then a tour bus might be practical to get you to several neat things. Hop on, hop off. Pay one price and let the bus take you.

Bus tour link

Chinatown is great, the Little Italy area is cool, there is huge Polish community and more. Chicago is the city of neighborhoods and each has its own flavor.

• eld6161
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've stayed at The Congress Hotel. It's a convent location. It starts at $130 per night. What is your price range?

I have never done Airb, but many have been lucky, some not. It would make me nervous. I would only consider it if I knew someone personally who went to that particular place and I could trust their opinion.

Chicago, like NYC, is just chock full of activities, sights, etc. But if you are looking for budget, I don't think you can find it on this type of trip.

Imstillchloe, four times and you still don't like it? You are a glutton for punishment:)

ETA: My niece lives in Chicago, I will see if she knows of an inexpensive place that is safe and comfortable.

Kathsgrdn thanked eld6161
  • lisa_fla
    7 years ago

I still remember the Museum of Science and Industry I went on field trips to as a young teen in the 70's!! And the Art Instutue.

Kathsgrdn thanked lisa_fla
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not more than $130 per night including parking. One reason I thought staying outside of Chicago would be cheaper. We are driving.

• pkramer60
    7 years ago

Parking in the city will run you $40/night at a hotel plus the room rate. Definitely look along the "LL lines for a room.

Kathsgrdn thanked pkramer60
  • User
    7 years ago

eld6161 - I know, right? First three trips were business (with pleasure afterwards for a couple of days). The fourth trip was strictly pleasure, to see if it was any better without the business on the front end. Nope. It's not on my list of places ever to go back to. lol

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

I did some thinking about location. In the west suburbs, the village of Hillside is right off the Eisenhower. It is less than 2 miles from the Tri-State. You could get downtown or either the north or south suburbs on either of those. Also, it would be an easy jump to the far west suburbs.

I just peeked at a Holiday Inn Express there and the prices might fall into your budget. Free parking there. No decent mass transit there, you would probably want to get into Oak Park for CTA that is efficient.

• Lynne_FL
    7 years ago

I agree about the attractions that were mentioned. I lived in Arlington Heights for a long time fairly recently and took the train downtown for many years. It is also near the expressway. If you are interested in the airbnb, Arlington Heights is a great choice.

Kathsgrdn thanked Lynne_FL
  • BB Galore
    7 years ago

Since you're driving, I'd recommend lodging in the near north suburbs of Lincolnwood, Evanston, or Skokie. It's a straight shot into the heart of downtown via Lake Shore Drive (Sheraton Ave. to Lake Shore Drive if you stay in Evanston or Skokie).

Things to see & do:

- Lincoln Park Zoo (for free!)

- Museum of Science & Industry

- Field Museum of Natural History

- Shedd Aquarium

- Adler Planetarium

- Art Institute (be sure to have lunch in their outdoor atrium)

- Sears Tower observation deck

- Double decker bus tour of downtown (a great way to get oriented with various sections of the city, see some really unique architecture, and check out other attractions)

- If schedule permits, go see a Cubs game

Don't forget to check out what kinds of food and music festivals are going on before you go.

Kathsgrdn thanked BB Galore
  • eld6161
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Kath, here is what my niece advised:

That's tough. Define cheap... You'll be hard pressed to find anything much under $100/night. Even the Airbnb options I've seen (because I'm curious) are in that range.
    As far so convenient suburbs, Oak Park and Forest Park are both nice and are basically the end of the line for the El. You have to ride through sketchy neighborhoods on the train, but during the day it's not bad. As long as they're not planning to party and close out bars downtown, they'll be ok. Elmhurst is also a cute town, it has a Metra stop and is close to the highway. Pretty much anything along the Milwaukee District North Metra line will be fine. I'm not aware is any bad spots northwest of the city. But the traffic is horrible along 90/94, so if she's planning to drive, I'd suggest the southwest, like Willow Springs or Lemont. I-55 into the city is typically much more bearable. Both towns have Metra stops as well that are under an hour into a downtown station. Driving without traffic is about 20 minutes. So that should get her started.11:31AM

Chat Conversation End

Kathsgrdn thanked eld6161
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

One other thing - I don't know if this might have any affect on your plans - The Chicago Marathon will take place on October 9.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oh crap, well, I guess we won't be going as I imagine it will be a nightmare trying to find a decent priced room and the traffic. I will try to go another time. Will save this thread. Thanks everyone.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Born, raised, & still live in Chicago. I've used Priceline & Hotwire to get good rates ($120 or less) at nice hotels, when I want to stay downtown. It really should not be a nightmare.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

The marathon is a one-day thing. Most out-of-the-area participants will be in town only for Saturday night, then they go back home. Yeah, downtown will be a bit of a mess on Sunday morning, but there are many things to do in other parts of the area while that is happening. Sunday - go to the zoo. Don't despair!

• chisue
    7 years ago

Like most large cities, you do not want a car downtown. Chicago has great public transit radiating out of the center. You could stay in a fringe of the city or a suburb (with free parking) and take the El or a train into the Loop. It's about 15-20 minutes in from Evanston (north).

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So, now thinking of taking the Megabus from Louisville. No car. Parking $3-4 per day. Staying in the city. Looking at The Congress Hotel...called them and their parking was $39 per day on top of expensive rooms!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

Congress is a great hotel in a prime place. Across from the park where Buckingham Fountain is; near the Art Museum; a couple of blocks to get into The Loop; a bit of a longer walk will get you to the Magnificent Mile; a cab ride to Navy pier; and a bus will take you to Adler Planetarium, Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium.

Also, you need to ask at least 100 people about their favorite pizza joint. You should get at least 20 answers.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

After going over how much the different things cost, one of the students decided it was too much. So, we aren't going, will save all the information I spent yesterday finding for a trip after they go back home to go with my kids next Summer.

• Chi
    7 years ago

I'm actually in Chicago right now. We used Airbnb and we have a 2 bedroom condo with full kitchen and a parking spot in the city for $99 a night. The blue line is less than half a mile away, easy walk or uber is about $6 to downtown. Chicago is great!

• chisue
    7 years ago

Hi, Chi! We're laying on the heat for your visit! Have a great time!

• Chi
    7 years ago

I noticed! We took a boat tour yesterday and it was very hot. So far our plans for today include lounging around in the air conditioning!

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

A day for museums: Adler Planetarium, Art Institute, Field Museum, Museum Contemporary Art, Museum Science & Industry, Shedd Aquarium.

BTW - Lincoln Park Zoo is free.