Toilet seats: wood or plastic?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (38)
Related Discussions
Where can I find a decent toilet seat?
Comments (4)I am laughing here, because I would love to get one particular seat which I saw online in someone's photo albums. Don't know why it showed up because I certainly wasn't looking for john seats. But it is absolutely PERFECT and PAINFULLY ELECTRIFYING!! It is an acrylic translucent seat. It has BARB WIRE embedded in the seat area. I looked on Amazon.com and they had a picture of one, but it says out of stock and availability unknown. I'm sure the novelty of this seat in a man's bathroom would give him a chuckle every day....See MoreWooden toilet seats and transitions toilet seats--any experiences
Comments (1)On the toddler seat question--No big cons! LOVE THOSE! They are so easy for your kiddo to use. We put one on our parent-education/toddler group bathroom toilet and many parents planned to go out and get one for their child's primarily used toilet at home. The only experience I have with a wooden seat is that they can split along the grain of the wood. When that happened on one of our seats, it pinched legs... Hopefully you won't end up with any weak grains at a stress point....See MoreAnybody retrofit their toilet with a Japanese toilet seat?
Comments (33)I have left side paralysis due to multiple sclerosis. Just yesterday I was able to swap my standard elongated seat for a Brondell Swash 1400. You can do it, but yes, you’ll need power. The water just t’s from your existing water line, then there’s a smaller water line to the new seat. However, while tightening the fitting to the threaded valve stem underneath the tank I turned it too hard and it broke! It’s plastic of course! So on top of the new seat, I now had to get a new flush valve as well. Strangely enough, I was not able the replace the new valve by myself so I had to call someone. Sorely disappointed and my pride hurt—but all’s well. Go for it!...See MoreRemove toilet to change seat on skirted toilet?
Comments (15)cplover - did you look to see if you could find the manual that goes with these toilets? You might be able to tell from that. Otherwise, there should be a contact number or email to check with the companies on these products. I can't imagine a company making a toilet that you had to remove to change the seat. Not that you do it often but from a general design perspective that would not be a good design....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

BATHROOM DESIGNHow to Choose the Right Toilet
Style, seat height, flushing options, color choice and more will help you shop for the right toilet for you
Full Story
LIFEThe Absolute Right Way to Hang Toilet Paper. Maybe
Find out whether over or under is ahead in our poll and see some unusual roll hangers, shelves and nooks
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNHow to Install a Toilet in an Hour
Putting a new commode in a bathroom or powder room yourself saves plumber fees, and it's less scary than you might expect
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNWhite Toilet, Black Lid: Trending in a Bathroom Near You
Contrast is king with this look for the bath — and it works with any style you can think of
Full Story
HOME TECHMeet the New Super Toilets
With features you never knew you needed, these toilets may make it hard to go back to standard commodes
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNNow Featuring ... the Toilet!
No sense trying to hide it. Instead, show off your toilet with styles and shapes that carry through your décor
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEVintage Style: High-Tank Toilets
Homeowners are adding the feeling of yesteryear in today’s bathrooms
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNBath Remodeling: So, Where to Put the Toilet?
There's a lot to consider: paneling, baseboards, shower door. Before you install the toilet, get situated with these tips
Full Story
WOODKnotty and Nice: Highly Textured Wood Has a Modern Revival
Whether it's cedar, fir or pine, if a wood has a knot, it's hot
Full Story
DINING ROOMSHow to Seat Your Dinner Guests in Comfort
Instead of reaching for pillows and footstools when you dine, settle in with dining tables and chairs that fit the room and body
Full Story
Rusty