SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laundrymitch

Pine Sol

Laundry Mich
7 years ago

Now.. I know quite a few of you guys don't like this stuff. And I'll admit.. it's not the best smell in the world, but I want to bring it up.

A little while ago.. the company who manufactures Pine-Sol now, discontinued the use of pine oil from the product, due to rising costs. In essence, they replaced the main ingredients with surfactants, and added a scent. And a lot of people seem to agree, that it doesn't smell like it used to anymore, but beyond that.. it doesn't clean like it used to.

Now.. I'm not a heavy user of the product. But.. a few of you might use it. And I wanted to point out something. About a year ago, I discovered this alternative brand called "Sun Pine", and despite it being $1 at many discount stores (namely Dollar General in my area) it actually contains 8.7% Pine Oil, which is the same amount PineSol used to contain.

Through a source, I have reason to believe.. this formula, may too be also changing soon. And I wanted to point this out to you guys, (even if you don't like the stuff) that it might be worth it to pick up a few bottles and place them in your closets or counters ;).

It may be the last of what we'd consider "Phosphate Cascade" in other threads. :)

Comments (30)

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Related Discussions

how do I clean a greasy floor?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have a bottle of Pine-Sol and looked at it, the floor cleaning "recipe" is 1/4 cup per gallon water, no need to rinse. Or if used full strength, you need to rinse with water. Pine-Sol is made to clean floors(among other things), no big deal there. I don't know what would be the greasy film. What I don't get is mixing together bleach and Pine-sol, that could even be toxic? UGH! I would think that a couple moppings with some warm, clean water should remove any film left behind.
    ...See More

Toto Cleaning and Pine Sol

Q

Comments (2)
    I thought the booklet that came with the toilet told what to clean it with. If I remember correctly it stated to use dish soap.
    ...See More

Sewage-like smell in kitchen that comes and goes

Q

Comments (18)
    It may have many a reason why the odor is no longer present which is great,from a dry trap in any sink drain or due to a dry drain going from the basement to the city sewer. I didn't mention the basement drain of which I was remiss to do so. These drains are often the culprit as they don't see any fresh water added to them unless there is an overflow onto the floor, a good amount at that. If anyone has a basement drain to the town sewer systems add water to them a few times a year at least so they don't go dry due to evaporation.
    ...See More

Help....Travertine Etched--Pine-Sol

Q

Comments (1)
    The etch would be less apparent with a more matte finish on the floors. Perhaps when you are having the flooring professional grind out the etch, you could take the rest of the floor to a more honed finish to disguise this problem better in the future. Because it will happen again when the stone is exposed to any acidic material. That's just part of having any travertine or marble floor. You can seal it well enough to keep the stains out, but not the etching.
    ...See More
  • Jean
    7 years ago

Mitch, I have both-the original Pine Sol and the sun pine. I don't use them but I picked them up when the 'Original' discontinued using pine oil.

Mama-my sentiments exactly-huff o rama!!

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I kinda like the stuff while cleaning the bathroom, and especially trash/rubbish cans. I wouldn't want the smell all the time, but it's nice in small doses. Smells Clean :)

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

I like this even better for heavy-duty cleaning.

• Derrick L
    7 years ago

Actually Clorox has two stories on the beloved Original Pine Sol. Take me back to the first time I used the "new" Original Pine Sol...I had a complete meltdown and took to the phone screaming at the person on the line. "what have you people done!!". Their first answer was due to California regulations so they decided to make the change for all. I take it there are some bad things in there, everything is bad to California. Then yes later it changed to a shortage of pine oil. I told them to grow some trees and to keep labeling the new product as "original" is fraud. They continue to use "original" on their label. I never ever gave up on my assault of Clorox on their biggest mistake to change Original Pine Sol in the first place. Many many phone calls, just to tell them how I hate the new product, how I hate them for doing this period.

Clorox finally budged and now allow us to special order it online. We can no longer get 2 bottles at a time, now must buy 6. Anybody who has never used it or hates it...it is a fabulous degreaser, down to the shine. My tile floors I wash on my hands and knees after a complete vacuum, I hate dirt in my water. My floors shine like they are waxed, compliments always. It also is great for laminate cabinets, toilet bowels. The smell after a day or two after major cleaning is pleasant. Some may feel the pine smell is too much, but what it does is like no other.

As far as that Lysol concentrate, it does not cut grease, it burns your skin without gloves...used that a few times and it cannot be good if it severely burns your skin.

To the OP good topic! Thanks for letting me vent once again on just that Pine Sol.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

That Lysol in the little brown bottle will disinfect very very well..including laundry. .but you will never get the awful scent out of your machine and all of your clothes will smell like it..forever.

• sparky823
    7 years ago

Derrick,glad you mentioned the online ordering. I had read that a while back also. Even though the ordering is a bit of a hassle, at least it is still available.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Never used Lysol concentrate on clothing, it is meant for nonporous surfaces. If I need to disinfect clothing, I use bleach.

@ Derrick, it is a concentrate, intended to de diluted. If you want to use it full strength you should wear gloves, like when using bleach. Personally, I have found it to be excellent at removing grease.

• Derrick L
    7 years ago

I always liked the smell of Lysol concentrate after it is used, like hospital clean smelling. At least that product has not changed! :)

• Derrick L
    7 years ago

sparky the ordering is no hassle, I do fear that they are going to quit doing this though. The bottles never come damaged, or leaking. Extra seal under the caps. 8.75% Pine oil

https://1221market.com/collections/pinesol

• Pamela Novak
    7 years ago

Wow, the old Lysol seems to have had a few more uses than we currently apply...

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Yep and years ago doctors would encourage doucheing with Lysol. There was funny advertising in mags about this...some showing a lovely women newly married but unhappy, the doctor recommended a Lysol douche and afterwards the woman was very happy LOL.

Mdln....people used to disinfect laundry commonly with Lysol, in fact laundry directions were on the label I think..I'll have to read a bottle at the store. Using chlorine bleach to disinfect whites is what i do also, but not all fabrics can tolorate bleach and colors surely can't.

• Jean
    7 years ago

While in Dollar General last week, I checked the label of the Pine Sol and it now states that it contains pine oil. I don't believe this is old stock. If you have a DG in your area you might want to give it a look.

Laundry_goddess-thank goodness times have changed! I cannot imagine!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Mitch, i love you for being kind enough to share that inside info! You are a doll!

Pat

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

Ha ha. Too funny. Pine oil lovers, just be aware -- you cannot use this around cats. It Is toxic. For dogs, too, I assume. Lysol is dangerous, too. I gave both up for this reason, but do love Pine Sol.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Lizzie, glad you mentioned this. There's a lot of cleaners ect that are toxic to our furry family members. Some of them have a sweet taste and animals will lick the floors, least that's what my vet says. I only use my own floor cleaner. 2 cups water, 1/2 cup distilled vinegar, 1/4 cup alcohol, and 5 drops dawn dish liquid. .keeps my floors clean and white and surely less toxic than store bought stuff.

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@Jean, I was just at Dollar General a few moments ago (their stores in FL are MUCH nicer than the ones in NC) and I checked the bottles. All of the Pinesol bottles say something along the lines of "glycolic acid"?. I also tried to quickly skim the ingredients list, and didn't see pine oil. :/

There's also this other brand called "Pine Allen" which claimed to contain "3x" the Pine Oil. 3x what, I have no idea. It was very vague, but I doubt it's 24% pine oil.

I grabbed a extra bottle of the Sun Pine though ;) haha.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I recently seen a brand at Family Dollar that also had pine oil. Didn't buy it.

Jean its great to see you posting again...soon as Samsung sends me my phone back I'll text you. I've been using hubs phone..so I don't have your #. Course I broke it when Tim was in the hospital, well it kinda worked if I kept doing a soft system reset lol. Sposed to have been back by now. This was one extended warrenty that payed off..I pay 60$ regardless of what they have to do to it. I don't even know yet what they did do..I do know they saved my info and pictures. Anyway soon as its back I'll text you. We need to shoot the bull. Lol

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Omg...its back...hubs just got home from work and picked up the mail on his way in ( our box is about 1/4 mile down the street..yea...I haven't opened it yet though..I'm about to shower first. I was lost without this thing.

• Jean
    7 years ago

Mitch, I will be back at DG tomorrow and will take a pic and try to post it here. I was very surprised to see that on the label. Also this DG is only 3 maybe 4 years old and I had already scoped out the 'vintage' Pine Sol there years ago. I also checked the Pine Sol website and nothing about putting pine oil back in the formula...

Mama-oh yay!! I know you have had so very much on your plate. But yes!-text me when you get the chance!!

• Derrick L
    7 years ago

The link I posted is the official link to buy the old formula, it is from Pine Sols facebook page. Their page is loaded with hundreds of complaints since the change. This is how those who want it can get it. Some say it is still different, it is the exact old product. The new Pine Sol Original you do not even get a bubble after adding it, they have to be losing money on the new product. Even the Pine Sol lady has a video about our anger...lol.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Ok..I have to assemble it a bit..lol hope its charged

• Jean
    7 years ago

Ok back from DG! Checked the label again and it is a Pine Sol bottle with pine branches on it. In the ingredients label it says 'contains pine oil'. I did get a pic but it is too blurry to bother posting. Also doesn't say how much pine oil. The PineSol bottle next to it had a plain label on it so I am assuming this is the newest version. I hope noone thinks I am beating a dead horse over this. But I think it's interesting and I have no life-HA!

• Jean
    7 years ago

mama-I sent a message through houzz

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Jean I'm going to txt you later after dinner..in the evening..I can't get my messages on house anymore and don't know why. I did get your txt a few minutes ago after I loaded my phone with my unlimited plan.

• sandy1616
    7 years ago

OMG! That Lysol ad! It will be my mission to use the term feminine daintiness in conversation. Lol. Too tired to google but wasn't the original Lysol concentrate wicked toxic? I can't imagine in any situation that smell being preferable to whatever the thing you are washing smelled like before. It was the Sophie s choice of cleaning supplies.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Lol..yes original Lysol was very toxic...isn't it still? The brown bottle one?

• sparky823
    7 years ago

I think they made some changes to it at one time.