SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_rayoum

To add on or not to add on.

Danielle Rayoum
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, my husband wants to add a bedroom onto our home. We currently have three kids sharing one bedroom. It doesn't bother me yet because they are still so young. But while we were at it, I thought I would like main level laundry and possible a master bath. Then I want to move all the rooms around to create a good flow for how our family works. So all of the sudden, this new bedroom is turning into adding 800sq feet that we never needed before. I have never needed ML laundry or another bath so is it really necessary that I do this? We are in 990 sq feet and these are the plans an architect gave us. I feel like its too much, but don't really know how to size it down or make it flow better. Also, I don't like how the Mudroom is SOOO far from the kitchen. Please send me your ideas of how I can reduce this and make it better. (They are trying to keep the front door where it is and the current bathroom where it is) The big rectangle of light grey is the existing structure. Where it shows the mudroom and the bedroom is our current garage. He moved the stairs going into the basement (which is fine) but they could move somewhere else too if needed. Just as a point of reference, we are minimalists at heart and we don't need a lot of extra space. Our best views are out the back and the left side of the house (West) We have room to go any direction for the addition, but we have the most room out the East side and back. Also, he expected this addition (with a remodel) to cost around $175,000 WHAAAA? Is an extra bedroom with ML laundry and master bath really worth that? So Id really like to hear from you like minded people who have either sized up or sized down in a home. Or all of you who have ideas of making this better. TIA!

Comments (8)