SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_sl

Before and After, One Year On

7 years ago

Finally! The backspash is in and the electrical sockets are no longer hanging loose on their wires. The city inspector came by and passed the last items this morning. !!!!

We moved to this in-original-condition 1964 house just about a year ago. We've tackled nearly everything here. We knew the kitchen had to go as soon as we saw it - 1964 was a long time ago. This is then:

This is now. Notice we (that is, the electrician) got rid of the light box in the ceiling - not easy!:

The basic footprint stayed the same except we lost the peninsula and expanded a bit towards the patio door (above), added an island and flipped the DW to the left. I finally got my Kohler 45 sink!:

We got rid of the wall ovens (too small for pretty much anything) and put in an induction stove and MW. It was important to me to have a landing spot next to the door. We took the door off the doorway and have left it open:

I really didn't love the location of the fridge, but there just wasn't a great alternative. As it turned out, with the addition of the island and the landing spot next to the stove, plus the deletion of that door, the fridge location works out fine. We made a space for a 36" fridge on the theory that a future family would much rather have that size, but with just the two of us we don't need one that big. We use the extra space along the side for the step stool:

I found a place for the mixer!

The floors in the whole house are bamboo. The cabinets are InnerMost from HD. We did the installation ourselves for both the cabinets and the backsplash. The backsplash tile is Sonoma crackle - it took forever because they had just demolished the kiln for the blue accent tile when we ordered so we had to wait for a new kiln to be built.

Comments (29)