SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurenkimberly888

Help! Adopted huge (and unruly) Rubber Tree & could use some guidance.

laurenkimberly888
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've had numerous rubber tree plants in my online shopping carts on Amazon, Etsy, and Home Depot. I wanted to scour the area to purchase locally before finalizing an online purchase. Low and behold... A "plant" search on Craigslist brought up this giant listed for free!Now she is resting on our covered porch in all her unruly beauty awaiting her makeover and permanent indoor placement.I am fairly new to gardening and definitely new to houseplant care. Can someone tell me how to do right by her?Her previous owners said they repotted 7 years ago, water once a week, and had her in front of a limited light double window. We have 15 Windows on our vaulted ceiling LL and all but S-SW directions to choose from.All advice is welcome but at a minimum I'm hoping to promptly determine the below...Should I stake the weak trunk and branches?(or possibly hang strong twine from ceiling?)Should I prune? And how so?(is air layering an option beforehand?)(or propagating cuttings, if not?)Should I repot?What medium should I use, if so?(lava rock, perlite, bark, etc?)Ive read extensively online but due to the overwhelming variations in advice, I'm hesitant to proceed without understanding the different options.Lastly, we live in St. Louis, MO.Thanks!Lauren

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus